Blotter: March 31

NU student caught with pot inside GREEN House

Police caught a student using marijuana Sunday at the GREEN House residence hall, University Police said.

Another student reported smelling the drug from a room on the second floor, UP Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. Police found several students in the room, McAleer said. The student who opened the door said he had not been smoking but added someone else in the room might have been.

Police called the other students into the hall and one handed over a multicolored glass smoking pipe containing the marijuana, McAleer said. The student with the pipe received a city ordinance violation and was referred to the Office of Student Affairs.

Unattended suitcase full of toys found, owner located

An NU employee called police Monday to report an abandoned suitcase containing toys in the Frances Searle Building, 2240 Campus Drive, but it turned out to belong to another employee, police said.

The employee said the suitcase was in the hall when she arrived at 7:30 a.m., and she couldn’t find the owner, McAleer said. Police removed the suitcase from the building and opened it. They found toys and labeled packages inside. After seeing the suitcase’s contents, the employee who reported it said she knew who it belonged to and left a message for the owner telling her to contact police.

Evanston Target robbed, two televisions missing

Someone stole two televisions worth $629 from Target, 2209 Howard St., on Monday, police said.

Target’s loss prevention specialist called police at 2:45 p.m. and said the TVs were missing, Evanston Police Department Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. Police are working with Target’s loss-prevention team to investigate, Guenther said.

– Rebecca Cohen