Blotter: March 30

Man paying for craigslist PlayStation 3 loses $250 in Best Buy parking lot

When a man tried to buy a PlayStation 3 from sellers he found on craigslist, they took his money and left him empty-handed, police said.

The man said he contacted the sellers on craigslist and met them in the parking lot of Best Buy, 2301 Howard St., Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. The man gave them $250, but the sellers drove away in their car without giving him the PlayStation 3, Guenther said.

Police are investigating.

Police arrest woman for possession of nearly 10 pounds of marijuana

Police arrested an Evanston woman for possessing nine-and-a-half pounds of marijuana Wednesday, according to an Evanston Police Department press release.

A car with two occupants left a parking garage police were watching as part of a drug investigation at 8:50 p.m., according to the release. Police stopped the car and saw a large object wrapped in a garbage bag inside. The bag contained nine pounds of marijuana, and police found another half pound in driver Timesa Barnes’s garage.

Barnes was charged with possessing the marijuana and intending to distribute it, according the release. She will appear in court today.

Keys for new graduate residences stolen from Engelhart Hall

Someone took 20 envelopes containing keys for new graduate student residents Friday from the Engelhart Hall, 1915 Maple Ave., police said.

Other items in the office were out of place, but nothing was missing, University Police Asst. Chief Dan McAleer said. The rear office door had been left unlocked.

Police are still investigating.

Mirror smashed during Howard Street argument

An employee of a barbershop on the 600 block of Howard Street broke a mirror while she and the owner were arguing Friday, police said.

The owner said he and the employee, whom he identified as “Crystal,” were arguing over the cost of the chair she rented from him, Guenther said.

Wallet goes missing from Health Service building

A wallet containing $180 in gift cards, credit cards and an Illinois driver’s license went missing from Searle Hall, 633 Emerson St., on Thursday, police said.

A Northwestern University Health Service employee said she went to lunch at 11:30 a.m. and found the wallet missing from her purse when she returned at noon, McAleer said.

Another Searle employee said she saw somebody leave through the emergency exit while the employee was gone, McAleer said.

– REBECCA COHEN