Remembering Rebecca: Family, friends mourn sophomore Rebecca Quint

Rebecca Jodi Quint, 19, loved musicals, played World of Warcraft and took a class with almost every professor in Northwestern’s Linguistics Department.

After the NU student was found dead in her Foster-Walker Complex room Monday, members of the University community, family and friends are mourning her loss. Rebecca’s funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. today at the First Parish in her hometown of Concord, Mass., according to her death notice.

Rebecca, a Weinberg sophomore, listened to German heavy metal music, loved to travel and had a close circle of friends, said her parents, Janice Hayden and Elliot Quint.

“Her interests were out of the ordinary, but she pursued them with a passion,” Hayden said. “She was good at getting other people to share her passions.”

Rebecca once convinced her parents to accompany her to a German music festival, where the family stood among thousands of German teenagers and listened to heavy metal.

“There we were in our heavy metal T-shirts,” Elliott said.

The German and linguistics major excelled in her classes at NU. In addition to German, she also spoke French and took a beginning Japanese class.

“It is a terrible loss,” said Prof. Masaya Yoshida, who worked with her in a research lab on psycholinguistics.

Rebecca was also actively involved with programming in the German Department and planned to study abroad in Germany next year, Prof. Ingrid Zeller said.

“She was very talented,” Zeller said. “She was very hard-working, responsible, intellectually strong and inquisitive.”

Zeller said Rebecca was “engaged and congenial” on a department-sponsored trip.

“She was very kind, very gentle, very supportive of her classmates,” she said.

At Concord Carlisle High School, Rebecca started a Japanese Taiko drumming club, “Taiko After Dark.” She called it the first of its kind “east of the Mississippi,” Hayden said. In its first year the club was asked to play at high school football games and in a nightclub.

“She was exceptionally proud of it,” Hayden said.

Alex Zisis said he and Rebecca were “music buddies.”

“She always seemed to be enthusiastic and motivated,” the McCormick sophomore said. “It is a complete shock to me. I remember her talking about studying abroad in Germany next year and music festivals that would be going on.”

Though sometimes shy and introverted, Rebecca was very sweet, Elliot said.

“If you just met her on the street, you wouldn’t think so,” he said. “She wouldn’t make a good politician. She couldn’t glad-hand people.”

Her parents said she loved to plan trips, whether it was a weekend to see theater with her friends in New York City or travel abroad with her family.

“She was that sort of kid,” Hayden said. “She was always involved in decision-making with us.”

Rebecca and her parents spoke over Skype almost every day, they said.

“We’ve had an amazingly wonderful relationship with her,” Elliot said.

While Hayden and Elliot were in Hawaii on a business trip, Rebecca became concerned for their safety Saturday when an earthquake in Chile was thought to have triggered a tsunami, Hayden said.

“She said, ‘Are you going to be safe?” Elliot said.

After a brief phone call with their daughter later that day to report all was well, Hayden said she and her husband became concerned when they did not hear from Rebecca for two days.

“We miss her terribly.”[email protected]