Almost Famous

With seven sold-out concerts in 2010 alone, it’s safe to say that the Avett Brothers are having a good year.

The country-rock trio, occasionally joined by cellist Joe Kwon, has always had a solid presence in the indie bluegrass world, but after the switch to major record-label Columbia in 2008, the band is going stronger than ever.

the weekly got a chance to talk to Bob Crawford, the band’s bassist, about being humble, musical influences and what to expect at one of their shows.- We met in 2001. Scott and Seth were in a band called Nemo. Scott had just graduated from East Carolina University. I was in school after a 10-year break, and a guy that I knew who knew a couple of guys who were looking for a bass player. We met and did an audition, and the rest is history.

– The fact that you get to do it is the best thing. It’s a blessing that we get to do what we love to do for a living. It can be hard, and you miss your family, but you’re very lucky to do what you do.

– I guess you want to consider yourself successful, but you always need to be hungry and feel like you’re at the beginning of the road. We kind of look at it like we’re climbing a mountain. As far as “well-known”, we’ve been doing this for 10 years. We’ve just kind of picked up new people every cycle around. People are getting to know you, and you’re going to grow. Being with Columbia has been a great opportunity for us. It feels good. The goal has always been to get our music around to as many people as possible.

– The best thing about being in the band would be the camaraderie and being able to spend time with the guys.

– Influences are very across the board for all of us. Real wide variety. There are a few we have in common: ‘70s and ‘80s punk music, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Neil Young. Recently, I’ve been listening to a wide range of stuff: old Elvis Costello-his first three albums, Sam and Dave, the Ting-Tings, and I actually like Duffy. Good music is good music, it doesn’t matter what genre it is. Every genre has good music and every genre has something lacking. In older age, I’ve learned to see that.

– I’d tell them to be ready to have a good time, put their cares away for a while, get to see some good American music.