ARTica Studios a ‘hidden gem’ offering various art services

Vivienne Edmister said she blows off steam by throwing pots.

Edmister, the assistant scenic artist for Northwestern’s Theatre and Interpretation Center, often goes to Norris University Center’s Underground in the evenings to work with clay at ARTica Studios.

“It’s more of a Zen thing, sort of like playing the drums,” Edmister said. “The more you think about it, the worse it gets.”

Wendy Miller, an ARTica artist in residence, said the studio often escapes the radar of many students since it’s nestled in the Underground.

“It’s like a hidden gem,” said Miller, who teaches ceramics and watercolor Mini Courses. “It’s a great resource. People never know we’re down here.”

Derrick Wu said he has never been to ARTica studios but remembers hearing about it during New Student Week.

“It always seemed interesting to me, but I’ve never really had the chance or the time to try it out for myself,” the Weinberg and Bienen sophomore said.

Wu said if he was the leader of a project or received e-mails about ARTica, he would be more likely to go there and use its resources.

ARTica offers banner making, glass painting, frame decorating and mug painting classes and plans to offer a workshop on screen printing in Spring Quarter.

Norma Loza, student supervisor of ARTica Studios, said most students accidentally discover ARTica when they visit the WildCARD office or the Game Room.

“Most people come here to learn how to do something, and they continue using the studio afterward,” Loza said.