Blotter: Feb. 18

Anonymous male calls ETHS, threatens to shoot

A shooting threat led to increased security at Evanston Township High School today, police said.

An anonymous male called the school at 8 a.m. and said he was coming to shoot students in two hours, Evanston police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. The caller said he was upset about breaking up with his girlfriend, Guenther said.

The school responded to the threat by closing the campus to visitors for the day and scanning students for guns with an electronic wand as they entered the building, Guenther said. There will be more police than usual on campus for the rest of the week, he said.

The added police presence was just an extra precaution, said Heidi Randhava, a member of the ETHS public relations department.

“There’s every indication that it’s not a credible threat,” Randhava said.

The police department does not speculate about the credibility of shooting threats, Guenther said.

“We take seriously all threats of that kind,” he said.

Woman mistakes window for door, goes to hospital

A woman went to the hospital Tuesday after walking into a window at Norris Center Bookstore, 1999 Campus Drive, police said.

The woman said she mistook the window for a door, Deputy Chief of Northwestern Police Dan McAleer said. She fell down, hit her head and was taken to Evanston Hospital, McAleer said.

Computer speakers missing from Kresge

Someone stole computer speakers Tuesday from Kresge Hall, 1880 Campus Drive , police said.

The speakers disappeared from a locked room on the third floor, McAleer said. Several people had access to the room, but the police have no leads, he said.­

-REBECCA COHEN