President Morton Schapiro connects with Evanston officials over Northwestern basketball

University President Morton O. Schapiro and Evanston officials shared their love of Northwestern men’s basketball on a Valentine’s date Sunday.

Schapiro and his wife Mimi invited Evanston aldermen, Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl and City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz to their home for a luncheon before watching the Wildcats defeat Minnesota 77-74 in overtime at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Schapiro said he and his wife planned the get-together in order to root for the team and to express gratitude for the warm welcome they received in the fall. He said he met several Evanston aldermen before Sunday afternoon but took the opportunity to further familiarize himself with city officials.

“They’re a wonderful group of people,” Schapiro said. “They work hard to make our town so great and get paid next to nothing.”

For two halves and an overtime period, the Great Room debate and taxing tensions took a back seat as the University President and Evanston’s elected leaders joined approximately 6,000 fans in cheering NU to a comeback victory.

The city officials said they enjoyed getting to know the Schapiros in an informal setting.

“Morty’s a huge fan, and it was nice to share this and get to know Morty and his wife,” Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) said. “I honestly believe they’re sincere when they say they love Evanston.”

Taking in the action from his usual aisle seat in section 104, Schapiro’s passion for the Cats poured from his purple sweater. With each NU basket he raised his fists in the air, high-fiving nearby fans and commanding more noise from the student section. As Luka Mirkovic gave NU its first lead in the second half with a breakaway layup, the President leapt from his chair with his trademark celebration, as made famous at the Outback Bowl: a double fist pump with both hands clenched, knees slightly bent and eyes locked in total concentration.

Evanston aldermen rose from their bleacher seats in section 206, clapping in time with the fight song during timeouts. When the buzzer sounded at the end of overtime, Mimi Schapiro thanked city officials for their support.

“It was their enthusiasm that helped us win it,” she said.

Evanston officials have cheered for NU in the past. The City Council showed its support for the NU football team during the Outback Bowl, making a bet with the Auburn, Ala., City Council and wearing blue and orange jerseys during a meeting on Jan. 11 to honor the wager. Fiske said Evanston residents in her ward identify with NU athletics and recalled wide community support for the Cats during the 1995 season that ended in a trip to the Rose Bowl.

“We have to do a better job of marketing to let Evanstonians get to know the great team we have here,” Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said.

President Schapiro reached out to Evanston officials in the fall with the donation of a new fire engine but said the first NCAA Tournament berth in NU history could take another step in building town-gown relations.

“The whole city would be rooting for us,” Schapiro said. “Evanston is our city, the Wildcats are our team.”[email protected]