Senate votes to recognize 150 years of Feinberg contributions

On Monday the United States Senate recognized Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine for 150 years of commitment to advancing science and improving health.

The resolution, which was passed unanimously, was sponsored by Sen. Roland Burris (D-Ill.). A related measure, sponsored by Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.), was passed unanimously in the House of Representatives Jan. 19.

In a press release regarding the resolution, Burris said he was proud to introduce the resolution to ‘honor the school’s work.’

‘After 150 years, the Feinberg School continues to play a key role in education, research and clinical services,’ he said. ‘I look forward to seeing the school grow and thrive for decades to come.’

Feinberg Dean J. Larry Jameson said he appreciates the efforts taken by Sens. Dick Durbin and Burris and Reps. Davis and Judy Biggert’ to recognize NU’s medical school at the 150-year milestone.

‘The medical school has trained thousands of physicians in each decade,’ Jameson said in an e-mail. ‘These physicians have included pioneering researchers, master clinicians and some of the best teachers in our discipline. We take great pride in their service to humanity.’

Charles Brown, a legislative assistant to Burris who helped write the resolution and introduced it in the Senate, said non-binding resolutions are a ‘way of bringing national attention to a cause.’ Feinberg was a timely topic for such a resolution because the medical school is relevant to health care issues that are being debated in Congress right now, Brown said.

‘The medical school is directly contributing to the health care work force,’ he said. ‘We wanted to bring attention to the fact that it has been around for a while and will continue to play a role in health care reform.’

Feinberg is currently ranked 19th in the nation for medical school research by U.S. News and World Report.

The reputation of the medical school was a crucial factor in Francis Lovecchio’s decision to attend NU. Lovecchio is in his second year in the Honors Program in Medical Education, a program that simultaneously admits students to one of NU’s undergraduate colleges and

Feinberg, which typically allows students to complete both degrees in seven years.

‘I applied to lots of undergraduate schools,’ the Weinberg sophomore said. ‘The one-way path into an incredible medical school was a deciding factor.’

McCormick sophomore Mark LaBelle, also a second-year student in HPME, said Feinberg’s reputation is important because it gives medical students access to research opportunities and options for residency.

Jameson said Feinberg will use its position in the medical community to ‘shape the future of health care in this country and beyond.’

‘Being able to assist in the Haiti relief effort with other medical centers across Chicago is what makes being involved in this field so rewarding,’ he said. ‘We look forward to the challenges in medical research and education over the next 150 years.’ [email protected]