Chicago company sells eco-friendly college apparel online

Five oceans, seven continents and one planet.

That’s what Project 571, a new Chicago-based clothing company, is aiming to save with its environmentally conscious clothing line. For the organization, saving the planet starts on campus.

“There’s no better place to start than schools,” said Michael Wheeler, Project 571 founder and president. “Leading academic universities like Northwestern-for us, that’s where it has to start. If they can’t support their own schools organically because they don’t have the option, that’s pretty sad.”

The company launched about a year and a half ago and has since signed contracts with more than 20 universities across the country, with hopes to add more soon, Wheeler said.

The Web site allows users to scroll through various T-shirt, sweatshirt and sweatpants options.

“We realize it’s hard to buy clothing online,” he said. “You get it in the mail, and you wish you could have tried it on. We don’t want to be strictly online. We’re based in Chicago, and we’re doing lots of festivals and starting to sell in boutiques and other retailers.”

Emily Wright, a student in NU’s Environmental Policy and Culture program, said Project 571 is the kind of company NU students would support.

“I believe most people on campus are concerned (about the environment) to some extent,” the Weinberg junior said. “The more important point is if their concern translates into environmentally conscious behavior. I think it can be very overwhelming for students to try to make the green choices. If they are living in a dorm and are on a tight budget, they can’t afford the higher-end sustainable products.”

Communication sophomore Eupha McCrary said she wouldn’t be likely to replace her collegiate gear with green alternatives.

“I care about the environment, but not a super lot,” McCrary said.

A member of the Fair Labor Association, Project 571 offers products that cost more than other collegiate merchandise because the company is dedicated to using textiles made by people compensated fairly for their work, Wheeler said.

“You buy three T-shirts for $9.99, and what do you think you’ll be getting?” he said.

“They’re made in poor working conditions overseas. … It’s hard for some people to grasp the concept that when you buy some of that clothing, you’re indirectly supporting that.”

Wright expressed similar sentiments. Although she has to bear costs in mind, her power as a consumer often drives her choices at the supermarket and elsewhere, she said.

“I firmly believe that consumers have incredible power to push the economy and markets to become more sustainable,” she said. “I try to use that power whenever I go to the store.”

Chicago resident Maurice Barnes (WCAS ’09) recently purchased an NU T-shirt for his wife from Beck’s Bookstore in Evanston. Barnes said he would buy the alternatives if they were available in stores.

“I think it’s more environmentally friendly than the kind of gear that you wash, and then it breaks down,” Barnes said.

Being environmentally conscious is the first step to a better planet, Wheeler said.

“People are starting to realize now that they can make small changes and not drop everything in their lives,” he said. “Those little things really make a big difference. We realize buying an organic T-shirt won’t solve climate change, but every little bit helps.”