Block Museum brings students to Chicago art

Medill senior Allie Gross was looking forward to attending the 2nd FRIDAYS Gallery Night in Pilsen last month. But on the night of the gallery crawl, it was raining, and traveling to the neighborhood where the event was located meant taking two Metra trains and a bus ride, then walking. Gross decided not to go.

This month, Gross and an expected 100 NU students will get their chance to explore an area off the beaten path.

The Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, the Northwestern Art Review and STITCH are co-sponsoring the event, called BLOCK OUT: Pilsen 2nd Friday.

Block is sponsoring the event for their quarterly “Block-in, Block-out” event, said Burke Patten, the gallery’s communications manager. Patten said Pilsen is a “pretty dynamic and fun” area in Chicago, and essentially all Block had to do was organize transportation.

“It’s such a great place to visit,” he said. “But it’s not too easily accessible from Evanston.”

Maria Dangles, co-director of public relations for the NAR, she she thinks events that encourage and help NU students get off campus are worthwhile.

The Weinberg junior added that students she has spoken with seem more excited about this event than past NAR-sponsored events.

“You kind of have nothing to lose,” Dangles said. “It’s free, they’ll have appetizers, and it’s a great way to start your night downtown.”

The 2nd FRIDAYS Gallery Night happens monthly in Pilsen, also known as the Chicago Arts District, at S. Halsted and 18th streets. According to the Chicago Arts District Web site, opening receptions at 30 “creative spaces” will be free and open to the public from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Two buses will be leaving from Arts Circle Drive, one at 6:30 and the other at 7:15. They will return to campus at 10:15, but students are encouraged to stay downtown and enjoy the evening. Transportation is free, but there is a voluntary $2 donation to NAR.

One of the reasons Block sponsors these types of events is because students often don’t take advantage of the constant stream of activity Chicago offers, Patten said.

“Students are so busy, and transportation can be difficult,” he said.

“We do anything we can to help students experience more visual arts and culture.”

He added Block will likely host another event this year in Chicago.

Gross, who works as a public relations aid for the museum, said that the event will get students out of the “Evanston bubble.” She added that she expects a great turnout for the Pilsen event.

“I’m actually nervous,” she said.

“People should get there early, because essentially only 100 people get to go.”