Advising resources go underused

In the middle of midterms, Family Weekend and Halloween activities, students may find it difficult to remember one more thing – their classes. The deadline to drop a class is Friday and Winter Quarter registration begins Nov. 16. This means students have another opportunity to see academic advisers to discuss their academic careers.

Associated Student Government held an academic advising fair Oct. 13 in the Louis Room of Norris University Center. Assistant Director of Academic Advising Gregory Cera said it was poorly attended.

“ASG did a good job organizing the event, and the students who came to it were happy,” Cera said. “There weren’t too many students there, but I was able to talk to a number of students and help them out.”

Cera’s office, the University Academic Advising Center, is available throughout the school year to assist all Northwestern students, he said, although they should probably make an appointment. There are also separate advising offices for each school within NU.

Cera said he believes NU has an effective academic advising program that has improved in recent years.

“Resources have gotten better, especially over the 10 years I’ve been here,” he said. “I think students are taking advantage of them, especially if my schedule serves as a barometer. I’m always busy.”

Students should be proactive in figuring out their academic track, Cera said.

“Be aware, as a student, of who one’s advisers are,” he said. “Becoming familiar with one’s degree requirements and major requirements are also important, and working with one’s adviser can help to see if you’re taking classes that fulfill them.”

Still, there is some confusion among students about how to contact an adviser and what classes to take. Weinberg sophomore Konstantin Wachs said he has some work to do before he is ready to register for Winter Quarter classes. He said he has not officially declared a major yet, although he has “filled out some forms.”

Wachs said he plans to call his adviser some time this year to set up an appointment, though he is not sure when.

McCormick sophomore Connor Eck said he is also seeking more information for his potential double major in material science and creative writing. He said it has been difficult to figure out what classes he needs to take, especially since his majors are within different colleges.

Eck said he has met with his McCormick adviser, but said he has preferred to search for information online.

“(The advisers) are OK, but they’re really focused on doing their own research,” he said. “They’re good for contacts, though, and it makes sense because sciences are more focused on research anyway.”

Wachs said he, like Eck, is seeking information about what classes he should take for Winter Quarter, but he has to take a preliminary step before setting up an advising appointment.

“I don’t even know who my adviser is right now,” he said.

Advising resources go underused