Alpha Phi Alpha Scholarship Ball celebrates 30th birthday

This Homecoming Saturday, Tyris Jones will be suiting up twice. In the morning, the Weinberg sophomore will take the field as a linebacker with the Northwestern Wildcats football team. In the evening, he will trade football pads for formal attire and attend the 30th annual Alpha Phi Alpha Scholarship Ball in downtown Chicago.

“The homecoming game happens, and everyone leaves after to go get fixed up,” said Jones, the event co-chair and Alpha Phi Alpha’s director of education.

Charter buses will leave for the free event from the Foster-Walker Complex parking lot promptly at 6 p.m., and the Ball will begin at 7 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile.

Between 200 and 300 guests are expected. They will be treated to a free dinner, a speaker, dancing and the presentation of three scholarships the fraternity awards. One NU freshman will be a recipient, as well as two Chicago-area high school seniors who have demonstrated intent to enroll at NU, Jones said. The fraternity determines the winners of each $500 scholarship based on applications received.

“With Alpha Phi Alpha being a historically black Greek-letter organization, it’s something that services our black community,” he said. “Everyone’s welcome, but that’s typically how it’s been run.”

While attendance has hovered around 150 people in the past, an influx is expected this year due to added community outreach, Alpha Phi Alpha Chapter President Brandon Brooks said.

“The fifth ward alderman, Delores Holmes, is going to be in attendance and some other community members,” Brooks said. “I’m very excited about our turnout – this year we’ve reached out to businesses, faculty members, teaching assistants, administrators.”

Money for the event and the scholarships comes from a variety of sources. Alpha Phi Alpha’s annual spring step show, KAOS – the largest in the Midwest – accounts for some of the scholarship money. Fraternity members also hold several other fundraisers throughout the year and accept donations.

“We have plans on increasing that number (of scholarship recipients), and it’s a really important event for us because it’s something that sets us apart from other campus groups – that we are able to offer this free event,” Jones said.

Interim Dean of Students Burgwell Howard said the Ball is a great way to boost NU’s visibility within the community.

“These type of things that inspire other people – and especially these young men – to go to college is something that’s in Northwestern’s best interest,” Howard said. “It’s also another way to have NU positively viewed in the broader scope.”

Planning for the event is year-round and requires a large amount of time and effort on the part of the fraternity in order to secure a venue, buses, money for the scholarship fund and other considerations. Jones said one of the most important parts of the ScholarshipBall is the fraternity’s ability to continue its commitment to community service, both through the administration of the scholarships themselves and beyond.

“We’re very passionate about seeing young people excel and using this event as a segue to mentor these younger students,” he said. “Even the ones who may not win the awards.”

Brooks agreed the event will showcase the fraternity’s focus on community service and brotherhood.

“It all comes down to collaboration,” he said. “My welcome address is going to be about people getting together over one common goal – that’s what this is all about.” [email protected]