Illinois Chief Justice Fitzgerald gives talk on professionalism

Thomas R. Fitzgerald, chief justice of the Illinois Supreme Court, allowed about 15 students a glimpse inside the Supreme Court chambers Monday night. He described the faded murals and the seven chairs where each justice sits facing a Latin inscription that translates to “Hear the other side.”

“It is a reminder to be neutral, to decide by law and not sentimentality,” he said.

The event, sponsored by the Northwestern Political Union, was entitled “Professionalism,” a topic Fitzgerald himself chose, said Adam Vohra, co-president of Political Union.

Vohra, a Weinberg junior, said the group gave Fitzgerald the freedom to choose a topic he felt strongly about, though they wanted to keep it somewhat vague. Fitzgerald discussed tradition and administration details of the court, weaving both with anecdotes of his time on the bench.

But professionalism was the reigning topic throughout Fitzgerald’s presentation. He spoke of his early years as a trial judge in the criminal court in Cook County and his disbelief and disappointment when a group of fellow judges were indicted and then convicted of crimes for corruption.

“There’s my gift tonight,” Fitzgerald said, stressing the attendees to consider their future conduct today. “Make a pledge to yourself.”

Fitzgerald acknowledged the flaws of the legal system due to a lack of professionalism and adherence to the code of conduct.

“At least four of the past six governors have ended up in the penitentiary,” he joked.

One of the chief justice’s most politically-charged cases has been in presiding over the impeachment trial of former governor Rod Blagojevich, becoming the first Illinois Supreme Court Justice to do so in the state’s history.

Richard Lange, a consultant at the Northwestern Center for Talent Development, said he was drawn to the event for the same reasons he is drawn to other Northwestern Political Union events: the quality of the speakers and the questions asked by Northwestern students.

“I was on my toes,” Lange said of the time he spoke for the group on education.

Weinberg sophomore and aspiring law student Nick Ruge said he particularly enjoyed Fitzgerald’s take on the value of lawyers in American society.

“One of my favorite questions of the night was whether it’s worth it to be a lawyer, and he spoke of the fraternity of lawyers and how we use lawyers instead of armies and tanks,” he said.

During the question-and-answer session, students inquired about everything from the merits of entering the law arena to the justice’s opinion on the new U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

“It can be extraordinary,” Fitzgerald said of entering the legal field. “If you’re respectful and civil, it will be better.”