City event spotlights health care

CHICAGO – Gov. Pat Quinn was the first politician in a long parade of Democrats to speak at an organizing event on health care reform Saturday afternoon, gearing up his constituents for the home stretch in legislation for a public option.

“Too many of our people don’t have health insurance or have very inadequate health insurance,” the governor said. “The number one cause of family bankruptcy in Illinois and America is unanticipated health care costs. Things happen. A family member gets a serious illness they get bankrupted. They don’t have health insurance at all. This isn’t right.”

Though the event targeted the specific issue of heath care, it also served as an early campaigning opportunity. Volunteers bordered the perimeter of the Holiday Club, 4000 N. Sheridan Rd., asking voters to sign petitions to get candidates’ names on the 2010 ticket.

“We’re so honored in America to have so many people involved in politics, not as spectators,” Quinn said. “Illinois is going to have a very early primary, February 2nd, and I hope we’re all able to get through the snow at that time.”

More than 100 people attended the event, many of whom had survived costly illnesses and many who represented the interests of specific groups of Chicagoans. Quinn emphasized the state’s urgent need for affordable health care. He told the audience they were not standing up for “piddly diddly things,” but rather for “real important things, like decent health care.”

The event was organized by the 46th Ward Democrats, said Sean Tenner, the organization’s political director. It was intended to clear up misconceptions and enter the primary with the ward’s democrats on the same page, he said.

“A lot of people are confused about the state of the health care debate,” Tenner said. “I think people want to know if they are going to be able to keep their existing coverage. The answer, of course, is yes.”

Though many health care talks have been the scenes of political contention and demonstration, this one was marked by very little dispute. Paul Bartelme, a lone demonstrator, held a sign in the window as one local politician spoke, which read “Political talk is propaganda.”

“We want answers,” Bartelme said. “I want answers.”

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), who spoke after Quinn, had already given some direct answers and promises to the audience.

“By the end of this year, I predict, I promise, we will have a piece of legislation that finally brings the United States of America in accord with all other industrialized nations of the world declaring health care as a right and providing it to each and every American,” Schakowsky said.

Schakowsky congratulated the crowd on what they had accomplished in their fight for affordable health care. She likened the movement to the grass roots campaign that resulted in President Barack Obama’s 2008 win.

The Congresswoman also said many of the fears and rumors about a public health care option are unfounded. She said 94 percent of American health care providers are non-competing, given that they are exempt from antitrust laws, as a counter to the argument that a public option would be a thorn in the side of capitalism. She voiced confidence that a public option would be included in legislation in the near future.

Over the wail of a siren outside, Schakowsky said, “I am absolutely convinced this is not just wishful thinking on my part. This is based on the polls. This is based on the conversations that are going on right now in the House and in the Senate, that when we pass that bill it will include a public option.”

Additional reporting by Ray Whitehouse