Enigma Cafe will replace former Cafe Ambrosia

The much missed student haunt Cafe Ambrosia is being replaced.

Construction began Tuesday on the Enigma Cafe, 1620 Orrington Ave., a construction worker said. The café should be opening before June 15, said owner Ted Angelo, who said attracting students was a major reason he decided to open the new business.

“I thought it was a good location,” he said. “And I thought the students needed a place to hang and do homework, use the Internet, and eat and drink coffee.”

The windows to the building are currently papered over, and a large white sign announces the café as “Coming Soon!!!” The green awning overlooking the entrance has been changed to read the name of the new coffee shop.

The new café will make concerted efforts to target students, Angelo said.

Cafe Ambrosia closed March 22 to much surprise. Owner Mike Renollet and general manager Matt Spenoik, who did not comment on the reasons for Ambrosia’s closure, opened the café in 2005 and made it clear it would be geared toward college students.

Angelo said Enigma will offer fare typical of a café.

“It’ll be like coffee shop; relaxing atmosphere, kind of chill and relaxed,” he said. “There will be food, sandwiches, salads, coffee, drinks, teas, (things) like that.”

Students who used to frequent Cafe Ambrosia are excited about Evanston’s new addition.

Kate Mullersman used to go to Ambrosia once every week or two to study, going more frequently close to finals. She said she is happy she will be able to study in the space again.

“It’s good because Unicorn (Cafe) gets really busy, and it’s just a much better space for studying,” the Weinberg freshman said. “It will be nice to have it open again.”

Brian Rosenthal contributed reporting.

Related: Cafe Ambrosia closes 3/6/09