Lacrosse: Northwestern, Penn set for a showdown

In 81 games since arriving at Northwestern, the class of 2009 has lost to three teams – Duke, North Carolina and Pennsylvania.

Perhaps even more impressive than the three national titles, 78-3 overall record and countless individual accomplishments, is the determination the seniors have displayed in not falling to the same opponent twice or repeating past mistakes.

It is only fitting that their resolve will be tested again on Senior Day against No. 3 Penn.

“When you don’t lose very much, and you do lose, you realize that you don’t like it very much,” senior midfielder Hannah Nielsen said. “Every time we play (one of those teams) again, we want to make sure that we avenge that loss.”

The Quakers came back from a halftime deficit in the regular season finale to beat the Cats a year ago, holding them scoreless after the break and spoiling their perfect record. The two squads squared off again for the championship, and that time the Wildcats emerged as 10-6 victors.

On Saturday, the currently undefeated Quakers will be out to enact some revenge of their own. Coach Kelly Amonte Hiller has been in Penn’s position before, as a member of the 1994 Maryland team that lost to Princeton in the national championship game.

“All you can think about is the next time you’re going to play that team,” Amonte Hiller said. “(Penn is) going to be extremely excited and ready to go.”

The challenge for the Cats will be to match the Quakers’ intensity – something that has never given them trouble before in these types of meetings. NU has played seven games against the Blue Devils, Tar Heels and Quakers after losing to them, coming out on top in all seven and outscoring the opposition, 94-49.

Stylistically, NU and Penn are polar opposites. The Cats lead the country in scoring and have an explosive offense capable of striking quickly. The Quakers are the nation’s top defensive team and play at a more methodical pace. Only one team has scored in double digits against them.

Meanwhile, after getting off to a hot start, NU’s defense has struggled. Both Virginia and Ohio State put up 10 goals, taking more time during their offensive possessions and looking for higher-percentage shots. The Cats are still trying to adjust.

“In the past two games, we’ve had moments of greatness and some moments of not-so-greatness,” senior goalie Morgan Lathrop said. “We just need to tighten that up, and everyone’s got to come to play.”

Improved play on the offensive end will also make things easier in Lathrop’s zone. NU’s 14 first-half turnovers against Ohio State put constant pressure on the defense. That never allowed the unit to recharge after a long possession because the offense was unable to hold the ball for an extended period of time.

Nielsen knows that cannot happen against Penn. The Cats are aware of the need to draw out their possessions and make the most of their chances.

“We’re going to have to take layup-type shots,” Nielsen said. “We can’t force opportunities because that’s what they do very well. They force teams into making bad shots, and they make easy saves.”

Avoiding another slow start is also imperative. After trailing for less than two minutes during their first 10 games, NU has been trailing at the midway point in the first half in four of its last six games.

In three of those contests, the Cats charged ahead after intermission by scoring four or more consecutive goals. Such a streak is unlikely against Penn, who averages giving up just 4.8 goals per game.

But if history is any indication, the sting of last year’s loss will provide the motivation necessary to keep the Cats from falling into an early hole.

“Penn is such a great team that you can’t come out and go down three or four goals,” Lathrop said. “You’re just asking to lose in a situation like that.”