NU alumnus to join Obama administration

President Obama recently named Michael Blake (Medill ’04) deputy associate director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs.

Blake has worked on the Obama campaign since March 2007, first as Iowa’s deputy political director and constituency outreach director, and then in Michigan as the state’s deputy director and political director.

Before the campaign, Blake served in Michigan Speaker of the House Andy Dillon’s cabinet as director of external affairs.

“Michael Blake was a terrific asset to the Michigan House of Representatives’ Democratic caucus, and it’s great to see that his skills and talents are being put to good use by the Obama administration,” Dillon said in an e-mail. “As part of our team, Michael showed great dedication and an incredible work ethic. We were sorry to lose him, but very happy that he has gone on to bigger and better things in Washington D.C.”

Blake began his political career as assistant for Illinois State Senator Jeff Schoenberg, and participated in the Yes We Can political training program in Washington, D.C., in January 2006. The Yes We Can program recruits and trains young people of color and provides campaign experience.

At NU, he served as treasurer of Alpha Mu chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. He also served as coordinator of For Members Only and ran for ASG president.

As part of Alpha Phi Alpha, Blake had the chance to get involved in politics through the fraternity’s national project, A Voteless People Is a Hopeless People, said Brandon Brooks, the fraternity’s social chair.

“We try and make sure people understand the policies and the issues,” the SESP junior said. “We believe that you have to be intelligent about the policy issues so you can vote.”

Last year, three of the eight members of the fraternity became deputy registrars to help people in the community register to vote. With past Alpha Phi Alpha members including Thurgood Marshall, Martin Luther King Jr. and Frederick Douglass, the fraternity has a long tradition of giving back and making change, Brooks said.

“That opportunity and that legacy is a standard that I hold myself to, an excellence that I strive for,” he said.

With Blake in the White House, Brooks said he sees more opportunity for himself to serve and give back.

“I’m definitely proud to say he was a member of Alpha Mu and brother of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity,” he said.