Pledge moms spoil new daughters

Raja Burrows serenaded 38 women last week.

Burrows, a fifth-year Music and Weinberg senior, is one of the most coveted performers for sorority women to book during Big/Little or Pledge Mom Week.

Most Northwestern sororities host a week of gift giving soon after new members join. “Bigs” or “Pledge Moms,” usually sophomores, give gifts ranging from scheduled performances to sorority apparel to favorite foods.

This week of gift giving is not cheap.

Kate Sheridan, a Medill sophomore, said she spent $200.

“That was pretty conservative,” said Sheridan, a member of Zeta Tau Alpha.

But Burrows performs for free.

“I started out serenading because I sing opera all day, and I get no chance to sing pop music,” said the voice and Spanish double major.

Burrows performs a variety of songs based on each woman’s individual preferences, which can range from Death Cab for Cutie to Jason Mraz. His schedule this year has been busier than ever, though he serenaded several girls last year as well.

Burrows has developed a repertoire over the years that has made him comfortable playing a wide range of music on the guitar. Many of the women Burrows serenades recognize him from previous performances or Facebook videos.

Many music or dance groups have advertised themselves across listservs and through word-of-mouth.

Reed Wilson, a Weinberg and Communication sophomore, advertised on sorority listservs that he would not charge for serenading, but he would accept donations for his a cappella group, Thunk. Wilson is raising money for group’s trip to South Africa during Spring Break.

“I’ve gotten donations anywhere from $5 to $20,” Wilson said. “I sing a medley of ’90s pop bubble gum girly songs.”

He often performs for groups of girls rather than individuals because “it’s more fun and less awkward,” Wilson said.

Patsy Gleacher, a Weinberg freshman, said her “Big” arranged a performance for a group of her friends.

“I knew it was coming so I wasn’t embarrassed,” she said.

But it doesn’t stop at music performances.

Laura Gilbert, a Weinberg sophomore and public relations chairwoman for Fusion Dance Company, said this week some Fusion members taught Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)” dance to a group of new sorority members.

Fusion charges $5 per person for group lessons or about $30 for private lessons, Gilbert said. Company performances cost about $200, and all profits go toward Fusion’s spring show.

And often, the effort by older sorority women is worthwhile, Burrows said.

When he sang his medley of “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys and “Wannabe” by Spice Girls, the freshmen were begging him to return as they danced and sang along.

“They think it’s really awesome,” Burrows said. “This is the best job ever.”