Women’s Basketball: Jaeschke adapts to defenses

As Northwestern’s only reliable scoring threat, center Amy Jaeschke has received the brunt of attention from opposing defenses this season. Her 6-foot-5 frame presents matchup problems because most teams don’t have a player tall enough to guard Jaeschke one-on-one.

As a result, Jaeschke has faced double teams with increasing regularity. Defenses have even resorted to more extreme measures – in last Thursday’s 60-57 win against Michigan, there were times when as many as four players swarmed to Jaeschke.

The sophomore, who averages a team-leading 14.7 points per game, counts on being the focus of opposing defenses.

“I just go in every game expecting that I’m going to get double teamed, and then when they don’t it’s a nice surprise,” she said.

Double-teaming Jaeschke has paid off for opponents. When an extra defender is dispatched to the low post, NU’s outside shooters need to take advantage of open looks on the perimeter. But in their nine games since the beginning of January, the Cats are shooting just 35.5 percent from the field, including 24.8 percent on 3-pointers. Teams have been able to capitalize and key in on stopping Jaeschke even more.

Jaeschke’s performance has dropped off as of late. After scoring 18.6 points per game in her first 13 contests, she has averaged only 10.7 points in the past nine. Jaeschke scored more than 12 points just once during that time span and has been held to single digits in four straight games.

“When you’re brought in to score, it’s kind of frustrating not to be able to do that,” she said.

NU’s next opponent, Illinois, limited Jaeschke to eight points in a victory at Welsh-Ryan Arena two weeks ago. The Illini sometimes double teamed her while a pass was still in midair, and she scored just one basket in the second half.

“In a couple of our offensive sets they would (stagger) off of her and watch all the cutters,” junior point guard Jenny Eckhart said. “Their four player (power forward) doubled a lot and tracked Amy right away.”

Despite the attention paid to Jaeschke, the Cats still try to generate some offense out of their star center. The offense’s main objective when Jaeschke is double-teamed is to put her in situations where she can get the ball before a second defender has a chance to reach her.

“Our goal is to try to have her beat the double team before it really comes and try to get her to seal when there’s (no one on the) help side,” Eckhart said.

One way to accomplish this is to have Jaeschke start out on the perimeter. From there, she can cut to the basket off a back screen rather than sitting on the block from the start of the play.

Jaeschke can also evade the double team on her own if she repositions herself and stays down near the basket.

“Sometimes if she posts a little higher on the block, she could get it and immediately do a drop-step (to the) baseline,” Eckhart said. “The other option would be for her to reverse pivot out of the double team and hit the open shooter.”

With defenses denying her inside position, Jaeschke has played away from the basket more in recent games. Sometimes the only shot she can get is a mid- to long-range jumper.

Jaeschke is not known for her prowess behind the arc, but her 3-pointer against Michigan helped seal the victory. If Jaeschke’s teammates are missing their shots, the solution might be for Jaeschke to develop an outside game of her own.