SPACE attracts eclectic musicians

Nicholas Tremulis, leader of a band that bears his name, said he wanted to play at Evanston’s SPACE (an acronym for the Society for the Preservation of Art & Culture in Evanston) because the venue focuses on music alone.

“I don’t want to take off my clothes to get the audience’s attention,” Tremulis said.

The Nicholas Tremulis Orchestra plays at the venue today. Although the band usually sticks to Chicago locales, Tremulis said he was hooked after he saw a show at SPACE.

Formed in 1982, the Nicholas Tremulis Orchestra has evolved over the years. The group originally described itself as punk jazz, drawing on influences such as James Brown and Ornette Coleman. Throughout the years, the orchestra has expanded its boundaries to include funk, soul and other musical influences.

Because of the group’s energy, SPACE general manager Jake Samuels expects a fun atmosphere at the performance.

“Nicholas Tremulis is sort of a legendary Chicago performer,” Samuels said. “We could not be more excited to have him.”

The band is currently on tour with its newest album, Pinky. The record, which Tremulis describes as “juiced,” allows the orchestra’s music to come full circle, he said.

“It’s a record that’s in love with rock ‘n’ roll,” he said. “In the strangest way, maybe this is the record I wanted to make when I was 14 but wasn’t able to.”

Opening for the Nicholas Tremulis Orchestra is Evanston native Ezra Furman from the indie-rock trio Ezra Furman & the Harpoons. The group self-released its first album, which was recorded in the dorms of Tufts University, in 2006. Since then, the trio has signed on with producer Brian Deck, who has worked with the likes of Modest Mouse and Iron and Wine. The show at SPACE will feature music from the band’s two latest albums, Banging Down the Doors and Inside the Human Body.

“I think Ezra is Chicago’s new Steve Goodman,” Tremulis said, adding that the night’s lineup should make for an eclectic experience.

Also at the show will be what SPACE has dubbed a “very special guest.” Andrew Langer and his new band, The Sleeptalkers, will perform live for the first time. Langer, former lead guitarist and vocalist of The Redwalls, said his new band doesn’t pigeonhole him. Unlike his previous band, The Sleeptalkers isn’t dependent on older influences, he said.

Tickets are $15. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m.