Equestrian team gallops to horse show successes

For Samantha Kleinfield, part of the thrill of riding a horse is that it’s not like driving a car or riding a bike. It’s a wild animal, with a mind of its own.

Kleinfield is the former co-president of the Northwestern University Equestrian Team, a co-ed club sport with 23 members that competes in Intercollegiate Horse Show Association events across the Midwest.

The team placed third out of 12 teams at a competition at Southern Illinois University about two weeks ago. In the final scores at the competition, the team placed after Southern Illinois University and Northern Illinois University, two varsity competitors that are considered perennial powerhouses, according to a press release.

“Our first show was a success,” said Joellen Ornstein, vice president of the team and a Weinberg sophomore. “We have a lot of new members and are excited about becoming close with them.”

Rae Shih, president of the equestrian team, said that her goal for the team this year is to get more members to advance to the Zone competition, which is one level below nationals and one level above regionals. Last year, Emilie Ross, a Weinberg junior, made team history by becoming the first rider in the group to compete at the Zone level.

Shih also hopes that the group will develop strong sportsmanship and team spirit. There are no prerequisites for becoming a rider, and novice members are welcome.

When riders arrive at a competition, they choose a slip with a number on it out of a hat indicating the horse they will ride. This is meant to eliminate unfair advantages. No riders bring their own horses