Women’s Golf: Wildcats finish ninth of 12 teams at Landfall Tradition tournament

Northwestern traveled to Wilmington, N.C., this past weekend to take part in the three-day Landfall Tradition. The Wildcats came away with a ninth-place finish in the 12-team field, shooting a cumulative 78-over 942.

Wake Forest took the tournament title for the second consecutive season, cruising past its competition with a 16-over 880. The Demon Deacons were followed by Ohio State in second and North Carolina and Michigan in a tie for third. NU finished six strokes behind eighth-place North Carolina State and six strokes ahead of 10th-place North Carolina Wilmington.

The tournament was the Cats’ fourth of the season and accounted for their third top-10 finish.

Sophomore Kelsey Lindenschmidt led the way for NU, placing in a tie for 19th with a 15-over 231. It was her first top-20 finish of the season and the fourth of her career.

Senior Jennifer Hong (17-over 233) and freshman Kylie Fuller (19-over 235) followed in a tie for 25th and a tie for 32nd, respectively. Fuller improved her score each round, culminating in a 4-over 76 on Sunday.

Rounding out the top-five for the Cats were freshman Alexandra Lederhausen and sophomore Innapha Tantanavivat, who both shot a 9-over 81 in the final round to help NU maintain the ninth-place standing it occupied heading into the day.

The team will take to the course next when it attempts to defend its team championship at the Challenge at Wolfdancer on Nov. 2-3 in San Marcos, Texas.

– staff reports