3 aldermen retiring from City Council after April elections

Watch a video on Ald. Steven Bernstein’s retirement:

Ald. Anjana Hansen (9th) announced this week that she will not run for reelection in April, making her the third alderman who plans to leave the nine-member Evanston City Council after the current term.

“I just don’t think I’m going to have as much time as I had in the past,” Hansen said. “My career is going down a different path than the aldermanic one.”

Hansen, an assistant state’s attorney, practices criminal law at the Cook County Circuit Court in Skokie, Ill. She also has two young children.

“I wouldn’t want to let anyone down if I were elected and couldn’t do the homework necessary to cast a vote,” Hansen said.

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said Hansen’s dedication will be missed on the council.

“When she leaves, that’s going to make me very sad,” Holmes said. “She’s a very thoughtful and analytical person.”

So far, only Plan Commissioner Coleen Burrus has entered the race to replace Hansen as Ninth Ward alderman.

Burrus, who has an extensive career in community planning, is an associate director of Foundation Relations at Northwestern.

“I feel I have an obligation to contribute to the city I love,” Burrus said.

Hansen, who has served on committees with Burrus, encouraged the candidate to run.

“She’s shown her commitment to the development of the City of Evanston,” Hansen said. “Her contributions are always well thought-out.”

With the decision, Hansen joined Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) and Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) as retiring aldermen.

Bernstein, currently the second-longest serving council member, announced he would end his political career in Evanston last spring. Tisdahl, however, is currently petitioning to appear on the ballot in April’s race to replace Mayor Lorraine Morton, who also plans to retire.

– Sean Collins Walsh