Firing Squad: Beautiful day for the LSAT

Saturday was another beautiful game day. A breeze was blowing off of Lake Michigan. The temperature was in the upper 40s. The Kemper parking lot was full of opposing fans. The smell of purple pride – and stale hot dogs – was in the air.

So why was I cooped up in University Hall while the Wildcats were kicking off?

Kaplan, the pre-eminent test prepper, was holding free practice LSATs, MCATs, GMATs and any other ATs you can think of, forcing sports fans like me to make a tough decision: Spend the morning preparing for your future or spend it tailgating for the impending Homecoming slaughter of Purdue.

When would NU have another chance to get a home blowout? But when would I prepare for the LSAT?

I went to that room in University Hall, played their little logic games and prayed I did not miss anything important at Ryan Field.

But why was I making this decision anyway? Kaplan’s offices are right there in downtown Evanston. Couldn’t they look at the schedule and find a date that would not conflict for us sports fan who are aspiring lawyers, doctors and school-oholics? They would only have to wait one more week for the ‘Cats to leave town, freeing us to focus on our future.

Preparing for life after college is important. But for college students going to college football games is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. This is the first chance many of us may have to see NU in a bowl game. Missing the ‘Cats’ win on Homecoming was difficult for me. I shouldn’t have to make the decision between witnessing history and preparing for my future.

-PHILIP ROSSMAN-REICH

Sports Editor