Baseball: Future is bright for NU’s staff

At the beginning of the year, Northwestern coach Paul Stevens said the key to his team’s success comes down to one thing:

“If we can pitch, we can compete,” Stevens said. “It is as simple as that.”

It was a growing year for the young rotation, armed with only one upperclassman. And at times, that youth showed.

The Wildcats finished last in the Big Ten in ERA (6.89) for the second year in a row. Poor outings down the stretch cost the Cats a berth in the conference tournament.

But the emergence of two left-handers in NU’s rotation kept the team alive for a postseason berth until the final weekend of the regular season.

SPARKLING SOUTHPAW

It is difficult to ask for a better freshman season than Eric Jokisch had in 2008.

The young lefty out of Virginia, Ill. went 8-2, setting the school and conference records for wins by a freshman. His team-best 4.17 ERA was good for eighth in the conference.

Jokisch, a 2008 All-Big Ten second teamer, became only the second Wildcat and first pitcher in school history to be named conference freshman of the year.

“I think he pitched as well as anyone in the Big Ten,” pitcher David Jensen said.

For all his accolades, there is still room for improvement in Jokisch’s game.

The freshman led the team in walks with 38, with 19 of those coming in his first four starts. Jokisch chalks up his early-season control issues to inexperience.

“I was very nervous in those early games,” Jokisch said. “But I think as the year went on, I got more comfortable and just focused on the glove and throwing strikes.”

Over the off-season, Jokisch said his goal is to strengthen his stamina on the mound as he aims to build on his team-best 73.1 innings pitched.

Stevens said he believes Jokisch’s record-setting year is just the beginning.

“I think he is going to be one of the top pitchers in this league,” Stevens said. “I am very glad to have him on our team.”

NEWFOUND VERSATILITY

This season, David Jensen finally got an opportunity to show he had what it takes to be a starter.

After pitching 22 innings out of the bullpen as a freshman, Jensen was named the team’s fourth starter at the beginning of the Big Ten season.

It was a rough first season for the lefty from Whittier, Calif., who went 1-6 with a 9.41 ERA, including no wins in Big Ten play.

“Overall, I would say I did not do my job,” Jensen said. “I mean, we only finished one game out so if I just got one, maybe we would still be playing.”

While Jensen’s overall numbers may not be impressive, the sophomore showed considerable improvement over the course of the season. In his final two starts, Jensen gave up just seven hits in 12.1 innings and had a no-hitter going through five innings against Big Ten champion Michigan.

Jensen said while he made some key changes to his mechanics, the drastic improvement was largely mental.

“At the beginning of the year, it was about me performing well,” Jensen said. “But by the end of the year, it became about me really wanting to win. I had a lot more passion on the mound.”

Stevens said Jensen’s end-of-year surge was no fluke.

“Physically, I think he has the stuff to be an outstanding pitcher,” Stevens said. “He needs to continue to develop an aggressive approach to hitter, but he is going to be one heck of a competitor.”