The Weekly Memo

In our editorial meetings, we toss around the words “campus characters” so much that it’s not surprising this week’s issue is full of unexpected people with even more surprising quirks, jobs and ideas. By no means are they Northwestern notables, but you’ll probably find them more interesting than Bienen, Desler or the other last-name-only officials we read about all too much.

So this week, there’s the writer-in-residence who talks about her sexual proclivity and success writing erotic novels for Answers (pg. 9), the sorority president who chose to resign (pg. 2), the journalist who returns to her dream of joining the circus in Head First (pg. 10) and Willie the Wildcat himself on the crazy kids (and parents) who are his biggest fans (pg. 4).

Then there’s our cover (pg. 6), which examines the man who is responsible for finding misplaced books – and lots of others things along the way – in our massive library. And no, that wasn’t a job he ever planned on doing after graduating college. But the timing worked out, and as his boss points out, “he has a special skill” that the library can’t do without. Life lesson? We think so.

These are the people who truly make up our campus, so we hope you enjoy reading about them. And if not, there’s always Social Diary, Anticipation Index and Clay Aiken’s latest release to make you smile – or piss you off.