The Weekly Memo

In 2003, Glenbrook North High School got some bad press when students were accused of hazing their classmates in an annual Powder Puff Football Game. It made national news, and American parents everywhere added hazing to their list of worries. Who could blame them? These were high school students, after all, and hazing had previously been thought of as a remnant of collegiate Greek systems and athletic teams. In 2006, the Web site badjocks.com published photos of NU’s women’s soccer team and its shocking initiation practices. The university disciplined the team, and Northwestern moved on. But as our cover story (pg. 6) this week reveals, campus hazing – which is defined broadly by university administrators – never really stopped.

We’ve also spent some time catching up with the incoming ASG president, Neal Sales-Griffin (this page) and his impeccable cleanliness. Our culture essay (pg. 8) explores whether video games make kids violent, and our Man on the Beat interview questions whether working at Pick-Staiger makes you crazy (pg. 11). Either way, you can take solace in the fact that you do (or don’t) have a summer job – our survey split down the middle. For that half of campus that’s still looking for something to do, turn to Confirmed & Denied and find out if you’re made for MTV’s True Life series (pg 3.). We wish you luck … and fame.