Baseball: Seniors playing with new passion

In many ways, this season has been a rebirth for Northwestern.

Not only do the Wildcats have a respectable 10-16 record (5-7 Big Ten), but they also seem to be playing with a newfound purpose and drive.

While many, including coach Paul Stevens, have attributed the resurgence of the program to the injection of younger players into the lineup, it has been the team’s elder statesmen who have had the biggest impact, both on and off the field.

“I think this group of seniors has gone over and above my expectations,” Stevens said. “They have done a phenomenal job of cultivating a positive experience…and getting them to be a real family.”

In addition to creating a good team atmosphere, the Cats’ seven seniors have been solid on the diamond as well.

Left fielder Mike Kalina, a fifth-year senior, leads the Big Ten in batting with a .471 average, while relief pitcher Matt Havey is tops in the conference in ERA with a superb 1.03.

In addition to their powerful numbers, the seniors’ experience has been a major asset late in games. Second baseman Jake Owens’ walk-off double to defeat Michigan State was crucial in establishing early-season momentum.

For Kalina, it is all just part of playing in his final season.

“I think when it is your final year there is a real sense of urgency to take advantage of every day, ” he said. “As the end gets closer you start to play with that urgency as well.”

For all the accolades and numbers the senior class has compiled, there are also those who have taken the tougher path in their four years at NU.

Rob Campbell was a highly touted recruit out of high school, but due to injuries and the emergence of Jake Goebbert at first base, Campbell has seen little playing time in his final season.

Instead of grumbling and holding out, Campbell accepted his role on the team and has been a catalyst off the bench.

“Rob may not get the playing time he deserves, but he has been every bit as important to this ball club,” Stevens said. “He is Johnny-on-the spot, in the dugout or volunteering in the bullpen, helping to create the off-the-field atmosphere that has been key to our success.”

The seniors have been especially important in bringing along some of their younger teammates, Kalina said, by establishing a good work ethic and playing hard.

For freshman, Nate Roberts said that leadership has been invaluable in getting him comfortable with the speed of college baseball.

“It can tough joining a new team as a freshman, but they made it really easy,” he said. “They taught me to go hard every play, every pitch and we want to, to make sure their senior season is the best it can be.”

With the season nearly halfway done, the Cats have already exceeded their preseason expectations and continue to improve.

For NU’s graduating class, this weekend’s series against Iowa (, 4-8) is one step closer to the end of their prolific college careers. But for the seniors, the fun is just getting started.