AVP: Mike McGee

Experience on the Associated Student Government Executive Committee and a desire for change are the leading forces behind Mike McGee’s campaign for Academic vice president.

“I’ve worked closely as a liaison for student groups about anything from increasing involvement in groups to working with the administration,” the Communication sophomore said. “It’s not always about the administration doing something for us – we can be active in that change.”

McGee said he hopes to increase minority enrollment by creating brochures about African-American and Latino student life for prospective students.

“Sometimes students may feel powerless in dealing with the administration, but we have the ability to make great changes on this campus and can make prospective students come to Northwestern,” he said.Plans to revisit last year’s projects and increase socioeconomic diversity and financial aid on campus are some of McGee’s other goals, he said.

McGee met with administrators about the NU Peer Academic Link Web site last quarter, a project that will hopefully include weekly officer reports, he said.

McGee is also interested in working with students and professors involved in the Center for Civic Engagement to learn about non-NU programs to improve relations between the university and Chicago, he said.

Ashley Meyers, McGee’s campaign manager, said she could tell he cares about the position, especially after working with McGee on the ASG Executive Committee.

“He wouldn’t run for Academic VP unless he knew everything involved,” the Weinberg sophomore said.

– Kristin Ellertson