NU relies on Nash for energy (Men’s Basketball)

Jeremy Nash entered the game five minutes into the first half.

Northwestern was struggling against Ohio State’s press defense and the fast pace of the game, but still trailed by single digits.

Nash provided the team with some much-needed energy, pressuring the ball at half court, ripping the ball away and finding a clear path to the basket. The 6-foot-3 sophomore lifted and delivered a one-handed slam which brought the fans to their feet.

And he was not done providing highlight-reel material.

As the first half came to a close, Nash blocked a sure layup by Ohio State guard Jon Diebler.

“I think it gets the team going,” Nash said. “We don’t get it a lot. Whenever we get it, we get that energy going. You see how we play, we got on a roll and just started running.”

These were just the highlight-worthy examples of Nash’s effort and energy in the Cats’ 65-47 loss to the Buckeyes at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Wednesday. In his 29 minutes, the sophomore guard energized the Cats on both ends of the floor.

The sophomore guard led the charge at the top of the zone defense, tying his career high with three steals. He also grabbed eight rebounds and scored nine points. But his effort went far beyond the box score.

He fought for loose rebounds, tipped passes and pressured Ohio State into turnovers, which turned into easy fast-break opportunities. He was working so hard, there was hardly a moment where his jersey was completely tucked into his shorts.

“I think he’s a pretty good addition for them,” Ohio State coach Thad Matta said. “He seems like he anticipates well. He’s got quick hands. He was up (and) he brought energy.”

Nash’s effort was infectious, helping the rest of the team pick up its effort defensively. NU struggled the past three games on defense, giving up 79.0 points per game and 51.6 percent field-goal shooting.

The Cats responded to the Buckeyes’ pressure. NU forced 14 steals and 18 turnovers. Kevin Coble led the team with a career-high five steals and Craig Moore had four.

Coach Bill Carmody said there is an advantage for his defense when Nash is positioned at the top of the zone.

“(Nash has) got long arms (and) he’s a quick jumper,” Carmody said. “But Nash gives you that size out there and seems a lot bigger than Sterling (Williams). I don’t know if we’re going to start Nash or not, but he’s playing most of the game, so he does make a difference.”

Nash missed the first eight games of the season with a back injury, but has played well since returning to the rotation. He has done a good job providing energy off the bench and pressuring opponents at the top of the key.

He scored a career-high 12 points against No. 13 Indiana on Feb. 3 and led the team with 10 boards at No. 10 Michigan State on Saturday. Nash is averaging 7.8 points and 5.5 rebounds over the last four games, up from his season averages of 4.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game.

Ohio State adjusted to the defensive pressure Nash and NU brought in the second half, outscoring the team 36 to 22 and finishing with a 53.1 field-goal percentage. But Nash’s energy early in the game showed the Cats could hang tough with the Buckeyes.

“I just wanted to go out there and bring my energy and do whatever I could – rebound, score if I could, get some steals, get some deflections,” Nash said. “Anything I could to provide for the team, that’s what I want to do and bring some energy.”

With his play over the last couple of games, Nash has proven that the effort he brings off the bench will be an important factor if the Cats finally do break through.