Home finale is a grand one (Men’s Swimming)

This weekend proved that victory can be bittersweet.

While No. 17 Northwestern put on its gutsiest performance of the year Saturday, defeating No. 21 Notre Dame, 189-111, it was also the final home meet for the Wildcats’ nine seniors.

In a season in which NU has struggled to find inspiration, Senior Day instilled in the Cats a real sense of purpose.

“We all knew this would be the last meet for the senior class,” said freshman Peter Park, one of the team’s rising stars. “We wanted to send them out in style with a big win.”

They did just that. For the first time all year, NU led a meet from start to finish, improving its dual meet record to 6-5.

In the early going, the meet had all the signs of an NU blowout.

The Cats claimed a decisive first victory in the 400 medley relay, providing the team with some much-needed momentum. Park followed with what coach Bob Groseth called, “the big swim.”

Neck and neck with Notre Dame’s Andrew Devers for the first 500 yards of the 1000 freestyle, Park fought hard, pulling ahead to win the race by more than seven seconds. Park’s win was the Cats’ first significant long-distance victory of the year and set the tone for the remainder of the day.

“Last weekend at (The Classic at SMU) was little disappointing,” Park said. “So I really wanted to step it up for this meet.”

Buoyed by its early victories, NU went on to win the first six events of the day, including three 1-2 finishes, and established a substantial lead over Notre Dame. But the Fighting Irish refused to go away quietly. Led by sophomore John Lytle, they won three events in a row, cutting the Cats’ lead with seven races to go.

But the team showed resiliency, rallying to win the final seven events for its first victory over a ranked opponent.

The Cats’ performance showed signs that the team is beginning to emerge as a conference contender. NU produced top-three finishes from 16 different swimmers, a trend that could be crucial to future success.

It also provided an appropriate Evanston send-off to a senior class that has contributed a lot to NU swimming. Star seniors Kyle Bubolz and Bruno Barbic, who have amassed a combined 20 All-American titles, each had strong days. Bubolz won two individual events and finished third in the 100 freestyle, while Barbic anchored both of the Cats’ relay teams.

Several of NU’s other seniors had season-best performances. Daniel Walls and Jon Ehret each had two top-three finishes, while diver Ryan McIntosh produced two season-best efforts in the 1- and 3-meter boards.

This weekend may have been the last home meet for the Cats, but the season is far from over. NU takes on Ohio State and Michigan Feb. 1-2 in Ann Arbor, Mich., in its last dual meets of the season. Then it will move on to the Big Ten Championships in early February, also in Ann Arbor.

While Senior Day was nice, a victory at the conference championships would be the ultimate gift for the Cats’ decorated graduating class.

Reach James Graham at

[email protected].