Cats counting on local flavor for success

When senior guard Jason Okrzesik returned to Chicago in 2005 after playing two years at Rice, the hometown team did not have a local flavor. Only two players came to Northwestern from Illinois.

Two years later, Illinois players surround the Itasca, Ill., native, creating a new energy around the team and in the area.

“To have guys from around here, it’s just family and just builds the excitement even more,” Okrzesik said. “Not that there is anything wrong with the East Coast guys or the Croatian guys. Guys from around here bring a certain amount of excitement.”

The Wildcats not only added two local players, but also talent to their roster. Local freshmen Mike Capocci and Michael Thompson hope to bring that excitement to Welsh-Ryan Arena and to a team that went 13-18 last season.

“I think they’ve got to play within themselves,” said sophomore forward Jeff Ryan, a Glenview native. “They’re picking up the offense well. Once they settle in, I think they’ll do the things that they can do well. I think they both know how to help the team and I think they’ll do a great job.”

Coach Bill Carmody said Capocci, from Lombard, is a decent outside shooter and can drive to the basket. He was among the top 20 prospects in Illinois according to Rivals.com.

Carmody said Thompson, from Lincoln Park, is a prototypical point guard who can pass and dribble the ball well. He said his ability to initiate the offense will help it run smoother. Chicagohoops.com ranked him the 13th-best prospect in Illinois.

“To the team, I bring a lot of quickness and my passing ability,” Thompson said. “I’m going to try and help the team score when we’re down or when we need scoring. I’m really good at helping my teammates getting easy shots and finding everybody when they’re open.”

The two players bring something different to the team, but both have to adjust to the different style of play involved with the Princeton offense and playing in college.

Thompson said the biggest adjustment for him is to know when to cut and when to go to the ball. Capocci said the biggest challenge is staying with the system when it breaks down.

The Cats have not been afraid to insert younger players immediately into the rotation in recent years. Carmody said he expects Capocci and Thompson to be in the rotation throughout the season if they are not starting.

“I was thinking we could come in and play hard and try to make plays and put our team in a position to win,” Capocci said. “Mike (Thompson) has been doing a great job running the floor and being a leader on the court and making good decisions. I think I’m going to try to come in and rebound and help out on defense as well.”

Capocci and Thompson both said NU’s academics and its proximity to their hometowns drew them to Evanston. Thompson said the fact his family lives 15 minutes away enables him to have the same support from family and friends that he had in high school.

The Cats have had trouble recruiting locally, but this year marked a change in recruiting hometown players. The roster now has seven players from Illinois, including three from Chicago. This common bond has helped bring the team together.

“We’re from the Chicagoland area,” Capocci said. “Northwestern is in the Chicagoland area. It’s kind of like our hometown. We’re representing more than just the school. We’re representing our family and our high school and everything else in regards to the Chicagoland area.”

Carmody said it has taken NU longer to bring in recruits from the area than he had anticipated. But bringing in the top players from Chicago and Illinois will help NU get notice from younger players.

Adding Thompson and Capocci should pay immediate dividends on the court. But adding the two local players should not only help the team with future recruiting.

Okrzesik believes having players from Illinois adds something else to the team and helps the team get closer.

“It may seem silly, but it really does bring a camaraderie amongst the team, just having such a close-knit group,” Okrzesik said. “I know some people may say it’s just fluff. But it makes a big difference having a team that’s close. It translates onto the court.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at

[email protected].