Bibbs gets double-double in NU’s preseason opener (WOMEN’S BASKETBALL)

Senior guard Nadia Bibbs scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as Northwestern defeated Australia’s Showtime Skins 67-39 in an exhibition game at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Thursday.

The Wildcats had 16 steals and held Showtime to 21 percent field goal shooting.

NU used a 12-0 run in the first half to pull away from Showtime and held them without a point for a seven-minute stretch in the first half. But coach Beth Combs was not completely satisfied.

“We saw some good things,” coach Beth Combs said. “It was not a pretty game. We knew it wasn’t going to be. We’ve got a long way to go. We’ve come a long way and our goal every day is to step on the floor and get better.”

The Cats forced 22 turnovers and had 12 fast-break points, 10 in the first half, and shot 42 percent from the field.

Freshman center Amy Jaeschke, a McDonald’s High School All-American last year, struggled in the first half of her NU basketball debut. But the freshman picked it up in the second half.

Jaeschke scored six of her 10 points in the second half and added six rebounds and four blocks.

“I think that (the newcomers) were all a little nervous,” Combs said. “I think they progressed, too. The biggest adjustment for freshmen becomes the quickness of the game and the length of the game. I think they’re going to get some significant time as they go through, so we’re excited to see them develop.”

Sophomore guard Beth Marshall scored six points and grabbed eight rebounds. She also had seven assists.

Senior guard Sara Stutz scored 11 points on 5-for-10 shooting from the floor.

The Cats outrebounded Showtime 49-46, but gave up 17 offensive rebounds. NU also grabbed 15 offensive boards.

The Cats’ played without two important players.

Sophomore guard Jenny Eckhart cannot play until December because of NCAA transfer rules. Junior forward Kristin Cartwright is expected to receive a medical redshirt with a torn ACL.