Campus political groups fight voters’ apathy with programs

In the last presidential election, fewer than half of the 18-24 age group in the United States cast a ballot.

With the first presidential primaries in early 2008, Northwestern student groups are holding events to change that statistic and promote voter registration.

“(Voting is) crucial,” said Ryan Erickson, president of College Democrats and a Weinberg junior. “It controls everything from the water you drink, to the hospital you go to, to things that really inflame national debate like Iraq or health care.”

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., are encouraging political awareness on campus and hosting a political forum at 8 p.m. today in Harris Hall Room 107. Student leaders from groups including College Republicans, College Democrats and College Feminists will discuss topics such as reinstating the draft to Roe v. Wade. They plan to emphasize issues that presidential candidates are debating in the run up to the 2008 election. Attendees can register to vote after the event.

College Democrats is offering another opportunity for students to educate themselves about the 2008 primaries later this month. It will hold a panel discussion with NU students representing the opinions of three presidential candidates at 6 p.m. Sunday in University Hall Room 121.There also will be a voter registration drive.

“There already are some student groups formed in support of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and possibly John Edwards,” said Julia Kluger, one of the special projects chairs for College Democrats.

College Democrats has invited supporters of different presidential candidates to the event to speak about their candidate’s platform, Kluger said.

“It’s a chance for the general public to get more information, especially for people who haven’t made up their minds yet,” Kluger said.

Members of College Democrats will voice the views of other, more minor Democratic nominees. At the end of the debate, students can register to vote, as well as get more information about the voting process. This is just one event College Democrats has in the works. The week before Thanksgiving, the group is planning events that include a rally, Kluger said.

“It’s a crucial time,” said Kluger, a Communication junior.

For students who miss the registration drives, Erickson and Kluger recommended the Web site www.vote411.org to answer any voting-related questions.

“It’s really easy to register to vote, and it’s really important,” Kluger said.

Although many find the registration process simple, in 2004 only 58 percent of 18-24-year-olds were registered to vote, and only 47 percent actually voted.

“Honestly, everyone our age is so consumed with school, work and friends that voting doesn’t seem like the most important thing,” said Alex Hunstein, secretary of College Democrats and a Communication sophomore.

Erickson said although voting may seem insignificant to busy college students now, national issues like health care will impact them in the future.

“If it’s not relevant to college students today, it will become relevant – that’s a fact,” Erickson said.

Reach Brittney Wong at [email protected].