Activities fair showcases opportunities for engineers

By Kristin Ellertson

Michael Awadalla and other members of the NU Solar Car Team are looking for a bigger crew for their road trip relay from Texas to Canada next summer, when they will alternate driving a flat, aerodynamic solar-paneled car barely big enough to hold its driver.

They may have found some of those team members at a McCormick Engineering and Applied Science Student Activities Fair on Monday, where about 100 students learned about groups where they can share their love of building cars, use engineering to help the environment and network with engineers who have similar backgrounds and interests.

About 10 groups shared their experiences at the Technological Institute courtyard, while freshmen enjoyed provided food.

Mitchell Samson, president of NU’s chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, said about 45 freshmen signed up for his organization’s listserv, more than the about 20 sign-ups he expected.

“(The group) is for anyone who likes to tinker with toys or take stuff apart with a screw driver,” the McCormick senior said. “We’ll go down to the Chicago Auto Show and have great talks about everything from environmental action to materials waste to new technology.”

Another group at the fair, the Formula SAE Team, designs, builds and races an open-wheel formula race car against other college teams, said co-captain Drew Price, a McCormick junior.

Brendon DiVincenzo, a McCormick sophomore and Daily photographer, who helped start the club last year, said he recommends Formula SAE to students who are passionate about engineering.

“There was a stretch of time last year where we basically lived out of the (Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center) for 72 hours,” DiVincenzo said.

The group traveled to Fontana, Calif., to compete last year and will go to Detroit in May for its main competition.

McCormick freshman Morgan McHugh, who attended the activities fair, said she joined the Society of Women Engineers to meet other women in engineering.

“It’s a good way to help high school and middle school girls learn about engineering and why they should get into the field,” she said.

McCormick’s freshman class is about 33 percent women, which is the highest ratio the school has had in a few years, according to NU’s chapter of the Society of Women Engineers President Jessie Donato, a McCormick senior. The national average at engineering schools is 16 percent, she said.

These groups help students network with alumni and companies, said Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers publicity chair Tony Feliciano.

“We just want to have a place where people can study and have fun with good friends and get support to get them through college,” said Mandy Cordova, the organization’s president.

Some freshmen at the event were looking to get started right away.

McCormick freshman Max Willer said he plans to attend a meeting Thursday about the NU Solar Car Team and hopes to drive the car in the race.

“I like the idea of solar car technology and solar panels that could lead to a better electric system,” he said.

“I hope to get a better understanding of not only electrical systems, but the actual experience of building a machine.”

NU Solar Car is looking for about 25 more freshmen to help build the car and compete in the North American Solar Car Challenge next July, said Awadalla, a McCormick junior.

“It’s engineering, working with metal, putting everything together and they’re going to get to see a whole car come together in one year,” Awadalla said.

“That’s something pretty special. For the past two years, we’ve been designing and fundraising and the whole car’s coming together this year, so it’s going to be awesome to be a part of that.”

Reach Kristin Ellertson at

[email protected].