Grads walk the stage during convocations

Aliza Appelbaum

While the entire class of 2007 celebrated graduation on Friday night, the six undergraduate schools held separate convocations on Saturday.Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences held its convocation at Welsh-Ryan Arena at 11:00 a.m. Students were organized by major on the court while parents sat in the stands with no air conditioning. Weinberg Dean Daniel Linzer opened the convocation, and history professor T. William Heyck who gave the faculty address, titled “Ideas to Live by: Community and Scholarship.”The Medill School of Journalism held its convocation in Cahn Auditorium at 1:30 p.m. Since the class of 2007 entered Medill as freshmen, the school has welcomed a new dean, John Lavine; christened the Medill 2020 program; and renamed the Teaching Media program Journalism Residency.But all speakers at the convocation expressed hope that the students would rise to the occasion and accept the challenge of the changing face of journalism.”You’re going to help lead the revolution,” said speaker Cathleen Black, the head of Hearst Magazines. “It’s an amazing world out there, and I urge you to take advantage of it.” Black told the graduates to embrace weblogs, podcasts, and all the ways the Internet can improve and expand journalists’ experiences.”Welcome to the real world, and the real world of a media revolution,” Black said. “It’s great to be here.”The School of Communication held two convocations on Saturday. The first, at 1:30 p.m., was for Communication Studies and Communication Sciences and Disorders majors. The second, at 5:00 p.m., was for Dance, Interdepartmental Studies, Performance Studies, Radio/Television/Film, and Theatre majors. Both took place at Pick-Staiger Hall. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science held its convocation at Welsh-Ryan Arena at 8:30 a.m. Saturday; the School of Music was at 9:00 a.m. at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall; and the School of Education and Social Policy was at Cahn Auditorium at 9:00 a.m.Reach Aliza Appelbaum at [email protected]