Cats Cruise Into Semifinals (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

Senior Garland Cooper wasn’t her usual self in the first two games of the Women’s College World Series.

Northwestern’s and the Big Ten’s career home run leader was 0 for 5 with four strikeouts in the championship round.

But with the No. 2 Wildcats facing elimination, the senior delivered, with some help from a defender. Cooper smashed a pitch into center field that bounced off the glove of center fielder Miriam Romero and out of the park.

The solo shot followed a three-run home run from sophomore shortstop Tammy Williams as NU advanced to the semifinals of the Women’s College World Series with a 7-0 win over No. 8 Baylor.

“Well I am leaving pretty soon, so I just have to keep (Williams) in check,” Cooper said jokingly. “I have to make sure her head doesn’t get too big.”

The Cats (52-12) quickly responded to the 9-0, one-hit loss to Washington the previous night with two runs in the first inning.

Senior center fielder Katie Logan hit the first pitch, then pitcher Kristen Shortridge hit Williams with her second pitch, before walking Cooper on four straight pitches to load the bases with nobody out.

Sophomore catcher Erin Dyer singled into the left center field gap to bring in two runs and give the Cats an early advantage.

NU continued its hot play in the second inning adding, four more runs by taking advantage of Baylor (51-16) mistakes.

After a walk, an error and a pitching change, Williams and Cooper blasted the back-to-back home runs to give the Cats a six run lead.

Pauly, who plays second base, added a home run in the fourth inning. The three home runs tied a Women’s College World Series record for home runs in a game by a single team.

The offensive explosion came one night after NU was held to one hit by Washington pitcher Danielle Lawrie in a game called due to the mercy rule after five innings.

“A lot of people have asked me throughout the day ‘How are you’ and ‘What are you doing with your team.’ And really we just stuck with our routine and I am really proud of the way we bounced back,” coach Kate Drohan said. “I think we came out tonight excited to play again, ready to play their game. I like the way we took control of the game right away.”

The Bears threatened the Cats in the second inning when they put runners at second and third base with one out on a walk, single and passed ball. But senior pitcher Eileen Canney struck out the next two hitters to escape the inning.

Baylor wouldn’t threaten again as it bowed out of the tournament.

NU advanced to the semifinals to face No. 5 Tennessee. The Lady Vols are led by All-American pitcher Monica Abbott, who is 48-3 with a 0.62 ERA. She has set the NCAA career record for wins and strikeouts.

The Cats will need to beat her and the Lady Vols twice to advance to the championship series for the second straight year.

Last season, NU defeated Abbott and Tennessee 2-0 at the Women’s College World Series. They also lost to the Vols 3-2 during the 2006 regular season.

“It is going to be a tough game tomorrow,” Williams said. “Everyone wants to be here. Everyone wants to be in that championship game. We are going to be out here ready to fight.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].