Relay For Life Teams Raise $127,000 For Cancer Research

By Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

Students walked 11 hours Friday night into Saturday morning, raising more than $127,000 for cancer research.

Northwestern’s Relay for Life began at 7 p.m. Friday at Welsh-Ryan Arena. About 1,000 students took shifts walking around the track in tandem to music, games and friends’ companionship until 6 a.m. Saturday.

“It was fun to stay up all night to walk and talk with friends,” said participant Nick Weldon, a Medill freshman. “It’s a great event that brings the community together for a great cause.”

This year’s event marks its fifth anniversary on campus.

The event was organized by Relay For Hope, NU’s branch of the national organization Relay for Life, which holds events to raise money for cancer research throughout the year and seeks to empower those affected by cancer. The proceeds generated at this weekend’s event went to the American Cancer Society.

Participating students formed teams of five to 40 walkers. Each participant was asked to raise $100. There were 76 participating teams this year.

“It was very much a team effort,” said McCormick senior Nick Graham. “It’s a celebration of all the fundraising efforts.”

Unlike Dance Marathon, participants were able to walk in shifts, so long as one member of each team was walking at all times. Students took turns walking, and taking part in games and contests held on the gym floor.

“With all the events, time goes pretty fast,” said Lauren Przyborowski, a co-chairwoman of Relay for Hope.

Games included water pong, a non-alcoholic version of beer pong; dizzy bat relays; tug of war; and Relay Idol, a karaoke activity.

Some students also slept for a brief period of time on the matted gym floor.

Many participants had personal connections with cancer. Nine cancer survivors were at the event.

Graham raised $1,900 and was the third highest grossing fundraiser. He said his personal experiences with relatives and friends who had cancer made the event meaningful for him.

“I have a close friend who was diagnosed with cancer,” Graham said. “Being with him was very meaningful.”

Przyborowski, a SESP senior, raised the most money as an individual: more than $8,000.

During her junior year, Przyborowski’s grandmother passed away from lung cancer. In the same year, her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Przyborowski said this personal connection with cancer made Friday’s event very rewarding for her.

“It was rewarding to see people supporting my mother,” Przyborowski said.

Co-chairwoman Lauren Greenwood said her high school experience with Relay for Life helped as well.

“My family was touched by cancer,” Greenwood said. “In many ways, (Relay for Life) has given me a way to make a difference.”

Local residents can already see this difference, said Greenwood, a Communication senior.

A total of $6 million was given to area hospitals this year by the American Cancer Society, she said.

“It really hits home when you know where your money is going,” Greenwood said.

“I’ve seen all the effects of research on my mother,” Przyborowski said. “I have to believe that what I’m doing is helping.”

Reach Paul Takahashi at [email protected].