Cats Focus On Repeating Run In NCAA Tournament (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

A plaster cow staTuesday, painted with purple spots and the Northwestern logo, stood on a platform beyond the right field wall in NU’s final Big Ten doubleheader against Illinois.

It was hardly noticeable during the two games except when a few home runs gave the cow a few scares.

Unlike other pastures, Sharon J. Drysdale Field is home to numerous purple bovines. Heading into the NCAA Tournament regionals, which begin today against Wright State, the Wildcats hope to show why they are purple cows.

“The purple cow is really simple,” coach Kate Drohan said. “It’s about being remarkable. It’s about considering yourself as being special and capable of doing great things.”

Drohan introduced the idea last season as NU advanced in the tournament to the Women’s College World Series.

The concept is about standing out and being unique. It originates from a scenario where someone is driving down the road and they see a bunch of cows. All the cows look pretty much the same – some are brown, some have spots, but they all look the same. In other words, they all look how a cow should look. But when that person sees a purple cow, the person has to stop and admire its uniqueness.

This is what inspired the Cats last season as they advanced to the national championship series.

But the purple cow not only motivated last season’s team; it has also become a symbol for the entire program. NU wants to create a team and an environment that displays each player’s uniqueness and ability. The team wants everyone to stop and take notice.

“The purple cow means that we’re not like everyone else,” senior center fielder Katie Logan said. “That’s what our program is about. We want to do extraordinary things. We want to stand out from everyone else.”

After earning the school’s highest seed in this year’s tournament, No. 2 NU might have to do more to be the purple cow this year.

But several players said if the team plays to the best of its abilities it can still stand out among the 64 teams in the tournament.

“I think we just have to play like we always play and have fun and have energy and just go out there fighting every time,” senior pitcher Eileen Canney said.

Whether the Cats advance deep into the NCAA Tournament or not, they have an exceptional group that has demanded the notice of those around them.

NU had four players named to the All-Big Ten first team, swept the Big Ten player, pitcher and freshman of the year awards and had five players named to the National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association All-Mideast first team.

The Cats are looking to regain their focus and get back on the winning track after falling in the Big Ten tournament championship game.

Senior Garland Cooper said the loss Saturday to Ohio State was a “wake-up call” for the team. She, like Canney, is confident that if NU plays to its capabilities, it can advance deep into the tournament.

But while many members of the team believe they are already purple cows, their focus has been on returning to Oklahoma City for a shot at the national championship. This focus could be what has truly made this team extraordinary.

“I think we just need to keep playing our game,” Cooper said. “If we do that, we’ll get to the World Series and we’ll get to that championship game. I really believe in this team, and I believe that we already are a purple cow. I think that no matter what happens, I think we’ll always be a purple cow.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at

[email protected].