NU Students Show Off Designs, Model Outfits At Fashion Show

By Julie FrenchThe Daily Northwestern

A few fashion-forward Northwestern women showed off their modeling and marketing know-how in a fashion show at Skokie’s Old Orchard Shopping Center on Saturday.

Communication juniors Gaby Mendieta and Leah Ring coordinated the show as part of their work as campus representatives for Macy’s exclusive American Rag line of clothing.

“It’s given me an awareness about marketing fashion to a certain demographic,” said Mendieta, who said she is considering a career in fashion marketing or advertising. In addition to the fashion show, the two have been promoting the brand on campus since February and are organizing a photo shoot in May.

“It’s been a little challenging because campus is so far away from Old Orchard,” Ring said. But she has enjoyed her time as a campus representative, she said, because it gave her a “sneak peak into the fashion industry.”

Mendieta and Ring also recruited their sorority sisters to work in the show as stylists and models.

Twelve women strutted down the aisle of the department store like a runway, wearing casual outfits and dresses for an audience of their parents and friends and a handful of middle schoolers.

A team of four student stylists scoured Macy’s American Rag racks on Thursday night to compose the hippest ensembles.

“I want to (work for) fashion magazines,” said Medill sophomore Jennifer Barnes, a stylist in the show. “This was kind of practice.”

Barnes said she chose the outfits for three models to show the range and versatility of the clothing line designed for teenage girls.

“It challenged my creativity and style,” she said. “It’s kind of a real-world experience. It’s not my own personal closet.”

Jenny Pan modeled one of Barnes’ styles, a black spaghetti-strap dress and coordinating jacket. Pan, a Communication freshman, had never modeled before, but said it was her dream career when she was younger.

“I got a feel of what it’s like in a more friendly environment,” she said. “It gave me practice to see if I want to continue doing it.”

Pan, who is majoring in economics, is considering modeling part-time, but said she sees herself ultimately working on the business side of the fashion industry.

Though Pan and the other models had to rehang their clothes after the show, one lucky middle school attendee won a free outfit of her choice.

All audience members took home a free pair of flip flops in return for voting on their favorite stylist and model.

Communication freshman Margaret Rhodes, a former Daily staffer, was named best stylist. Her $500 prize will go to Reading Is Fundamental, the philanthropy that her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, supports.

The show attracted several shoppers, including seventh-grader Christina Hildner. Hildner attends Chute Middle School in Evanston, and said her only interaction with NU so far has been attending basketball games.

“I like fashion more than basketball, so it’s cool to see them doing something else,” she said.

Reach Julie French at [email protected].