City’s Spas Seek Out Niches in Evanston’s Saturated Market

By Peter JacksonThe Daily NorthwesternWith the December debut of the Red Door Spa and the March 1 launch of spa services at Ergo Salon, Evanston seems awash with spa services. But in the battle of Evanston’s spas, no one is claiming victory just yet.

There are almost a dozen spas in Evanston, each trying to carve out its own niche within the market. But with more spa services being offered all the time, Evanston may be maxing out on spa offerings.

“The industry’s so saturated right now,” said Amy Hamaker, executive editor of DAYSPA magazine. “It’s very competitive, and day spas tend to try to focus on customer retention.”

Egea Spa manager Inga Veiss said 70 percent of her salon’s initial customers come back for a second appointment, which she attributed to Egea’s service and competitive pricing.

The figure stands in stark contrast to the 30 percent retained so far by Red Door, 1604 Sherman Ave. Red Door general manager Kelo Panici said the low retention rates could be a problem.

“Retention is very important to us,” he said. “It’s great to get new people, but if they’re not coming back we’re not doing something right.”

Still, he said some previous customers aren’t due back yet for their next appointments and that 30 percent retention is in line with other Red Door locations and the industry as a whole.

The Red Door branch in north suburban Deerfield now retains about 70 percent of its customers, up from about 40 percent when the store opened seven years ago, general manager Mariola Wolski said.

Although neither Red Door nor Egea has specifically targeted Northwestern students with advertisements, managers at both spas said they’ve been surprised by a high number of student visits.

Lexi Barta, a Communication senior, said although she’s been to Red Door, she’s a long-term customer of Egea.

“Once I started going there, I’ve always gone back,” she said. “It’s a really calming atmosphere, and they’re so nice and cordial. I love the cucumber water and mints.”

Red Door’s stainless-steel accents and corporate feel left Medill senior Emily Horbar unimpressed as well, she said.

“I probably wouldn’t go back,” she said. “I didn’t walk out feeling like, ‘Wow, that changed my life,’ which I’d pay anything for.”

About a mile north, at Anneliese Moor Care, 826 Noyes St., the focus isn’t on modern amenities but on older remedies. Owner and operator Anneliese Adam hasn’t seen a dip in business as more spa services have popped up, and she said she isn’t surprised.

Adam swears by Moor mud wraps and baths – an old Austrian technique utilizing nutrient-rich alpine mud – and so do her customers, she said.

“People come in with problems, arthritis being a good example,” Adam said. “I work with individuals, where (other spas) are more superficial. That’s why they keep coming back.”

Retention has remained steady at 70 to 80 percent over the last 26 years, she said.

“It’s been more and more competitive, and it’s true that spa-goers go shopping, but my customers remain very loyal,” she said.

Many echoed the idea that the competition has been good for the area, forcing spas and salons to embrace more niche identities to retain customers.

“Competition’s a good thing,” said Veiss, Egea’s manager. “It makes us try a little harder to be as good as we can be.”

Reach Peter Jackson at [email protected].