Defensive Troubles Are Common Theme In Losses (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

With a Michigan runner at first and no outs during Northwestern’s Big Ten opener Friday, sophomore shortstop Tammy Williams fielded a ground ball cleanly. But her throw to first pulled senior Garland Cooper off the bag, allowing the runner to advance to third.

On the next play, sophomore catcher Erin Dyer tried for a pickoff at third, only to throw the ball into left field, allowing the runner to score.

A manageable two-run deficit became four, and the miscues ultimately led to a five-run inning and an 11-4 loss. NU committed four errors, with Williams and Dyer each making two.

The No. 8 Wildcats are strong on offense and on the mound. But entering today’s game against Northern Illinois at Sharon J. Drysdale Field, the team has played inconsistent defense.

“We talked a lot about giving up big innings,” coach Kate Drohan said. “Those mistakes are part of the game. (Friday) we made two or three mistakes in a row, and really to play consistent softball for a good six months you have to put the pressure on after you make those mistakes.”

While errors are a problem at times, it doesn’t usually keep the team from winning.

But the Cats are averaging 2.6 errors – more than twice their average of 1.2 per game – in their seven losses this season. They made at least one error in each loss, committing four in two of those games.

That extra out could be the difference between ending the inning or giving momentum to their opponents, making a small deficit a blowout.

“Physically, I think we’re able to make the plays,” senior pitcher Eileen Canney said. “Sometimes it’s the mental part – whether it’s pressure or being nervous. I think that when we make mistakes we just need to go back and do the basic things we learned when we were 10 years old.”

In 65 games last year, NU committed 70 errors. Through 32 games this season, the team has made 41.

No. 1 Tennessee has made 11 errors this season and Michigan has made 16.

“I think our errors are all physical,” freshman second baseman Nicole Pauly said. “Sometimes we have a mental error here or there. But it’s part of the game. We play through it.”

Williams leads the team with 12 errors, the same number she had all of last season. Canney has also thrown 12 wild pitches, three more than she had last season and six short of the 18 she threw in 2005.

The Cats still field the ball well. Their fielding percentage is .957, which ranks fifth in the Big Ten. NU ranks sixth in errors.

Drohan said the way to recover from committing an error is to want the ball the next play and play it aggressively.

Williams said the team shows its support for any player who commits an error, which is important in making the next play.

“I think we just talk to each other and let them know they’re going to make that next play, they’re going to get that next ball and that everyone has faith in them that they’re going to make that next play,” Williams said.

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].