NU Prepares With Difficult Early Games (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

Northwestern received a preview of this weekend’s Big Ten opener when they faced No. 6 Michigan on Saturday in Louisville, Ky.

The Wildcats gave up a run in the first inning but answered and tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Then the pitchers took over as the Cats and Wolverines remained tied into the ninth.

Freshman second baseman Nicole Pauly broke the tie and won the game for NU without swinging her bat. She was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, giving the Cats their 22nd win. After winning two more games, No. 8 NU improved to 24-6.

The Cats have already played many of the nation’s premier teams.

“I think in our first 30 games of the year we have a good idea of where we are against the best teams in the country,” coach Kate Drohan said. “It’s a long season for us. We’re really fortunate we have a group of players who really enjoy playing the game.”

NU won 14 of its 15 contests since March 2, including 11 wins in a row. The Cats outscored opponents by almost six runs per game and had six shutouts during that stretch.

The Cats defeated No. 6 Michigan, No. 7 Arizona State, No. 10 Stanford (twice) and No. 21 Oregon State (twice). But NU lost to No. 4 Texas A&M, No. 5 Arizona – who defeated the Cats in the College World Series last season – and No. 14 UCLA.

They won by the ten-run mercy rule nine times, including all four games they played at the Tiger Invitational in Columbia, Mo.

Sophomore shortstop Tammy Williams has a 17-game hitting and run-scoring streak and is hitting .515 this season to lead the team. She also has eight home runs and 28 RBIs – both second on the team.

It helps that NU’s all-time home run leader is hitting behind her. Senior first baseman Garland Cooper broke the school’s career record with a home run in the sixth inning of a 3-2 comeback win against Sacramento State on Feb. 16. She leads the team with 11 home runs and 38 RBIs.

Cooper, Williams and senior center fielder Katie Logan, the first three batters in the lineup, are each hitting above .300 this season, making the top of the order a difficult challenge for opposing pitchers.

“I think we are all very comfortable with the spot we are hitting,” Williams said. “It’s nice to see Katie (Logan) on (base) because she’s fast and has the ability to score easily on our hits. The lineup coming after me is doing a nice job putting the ball in play and getting base hits.”

But Drohan said strong pitching has been the key to the Cats’ success this season.

Senior Eileen Canney is 12-6 with a 1.40 ERA and two saves. She leads the team with 149 strikeouts and 13 complete games.

Freshman Lauren Delaney has won her first 12 decisions this season. She has pitched 10 complete games in her first 14 starts and has 116 strikeouts.

“I think we have a great dynamic chemistry, (Delaney) and I,” Canney said. “I think we’re going to be a tough duo to defeat.”

Despite NU’s solid record this season, Canney said the coaching staff is keeping the team focused on improving. She said the team begins analyzing what they could have done better soon after victories.

For example, coaches will tell players what they could have done to get a stranded runner in scoring position home for another run.

In a ten-run game, that might not matter, but it could make a difference when the game is close with the national championship on the line.

Drohan said she liked the way her team responded to a loss against Louisville with a win over Michigan this past weekend.

“That’s really what our game is about: who can handle pressure,” Drohan said. “As our team personality starts to develop, our team thrives in that situation. We’re really fortunate that this group understands there is work involved.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].