1-And-Season Done (Women’s Basketball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

Northwestern desperately needed something to start a comeback in its first round game of the Big Ten Tournament against Minnesota.

Down 17 points with 7:26 to play, the Wildcats may have had their shot.

Senior forward A.J. Glasauer drove into the lane on a fast break and missed a lay-up. Junior forward Melissa Miller grabbed the rebound and found Glasauer open in the corner. The senior missed the jumper.

Their shot at a comeback – like their shots in the game – was a good chance to score, but missed its mark.

Minnesota took advantage of NU scoring droughts in the first and second halves to create a comfortable margin. The Gophers led the entire game, eliminating the Cats from the Big Ten Tournament 60-43 in Indianapolis Thursday.

NU (8-22, 2-15 Big Ten) went nearly nine minutes in the first half without making a field goal after Glasauer scored on the Cats’ first possession. Minnesota (16-14, 8-9) used the drought to take a nine point lead.

“We played on our heels,” Glasauer said. “We let them push us back in that press. We needed to attack.”

NU started the second half with two jump shots by sophomore center Julie Bielawski off of Glasauer assists. But Glasauer’s third foul forced her to the bench.

The Cats – like in the first half – struggled offensively with Glasauer out of the lineup.

The Gophers held the Cats without a field goal for six minutes to extend their lead to 16 points after the Cats cut the deficit to nine.

NU couldn’t muster a run as poor shooting and poor rebounding stopped any comeback attempt.

“When you don’t shoot well, you’ve got to get it done on defense,” coach Beth Combs said. “We didn’t do that because we didn’t box out. We kind of put ourselves in double jeopardy.”

NU shot 24 percent for the game – nearly matching its season low of 23.9 percent in a 72-30 loss at Purdue Jan. 15.

The Cats also struggled on the boards. Minnesota outrebounded NU 49-30 – grabbing 18 offensive rebounds and converting them into 14 second chance points.

Combs, who expected the team to win, said, “This is a very disappointing day.”

Glasauer led NU in scoring with 13 points. Sophomore forward Kristin Cartwright added eight points and six rebounds.

The Cats shot 21 percent in the first half, but kept the game close with strong defense and poor shooting from their opponents.

Minnesota shot 28 percent in the first half, despite grabbing 11 offensive rebounds. The Gopher’s performance at the free throw line – 10 of 12 – gave them breathing room in the first half.

Minnesota snapped out of its shooting slump in the second half – finishing the game at 38 percent – and continued to parade to the charity stripe, finishing 21 of 29.

Sophomore guard Emily Fox led the way for the Gophers with 12 points and nine rebounds. Freshman Korrine Campbell added 10 points and nine rebounds.

Combs said the loss should motivate the team for next season when all but two players will return.

“Every time you lose, you just try to get better,” Combs said. “There’s nothing like a bad loss to get you motivated. We’re going to start as soon as possible and get this program turned around.”

Glasauer scored her final points as a Wildcat on a fast break lay-up and free throw.

She left the court for the final time with 47 seconds left.

“This team worked really hard in practice,” Glasauer said. “It was my job as a senior to lead them into the second round. I’m so sorry I couldn’t give them the second round. I know they’re going to do great next year.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].