Wildcats Set Non-conference Wins Record (Men’s Basketball)

By Andrew SimonThe Daily Northwestern

This season probably will not go down in Northwestern basketball lore. But in one respect, it has been the best in school history.

With its 67-56 victory against Division-I Independent school Texas-Pan American on Wednesday, NU (13-14) set a school record with its 11th non-conference win of the season in 14 games. The team’s previous best came in 1993-94, when the Cats posted a 10-1 mark, including a 1-1 record in the NIT.

“I wish it was the best conference (record) in history,” coach Bill Carmody said. “But we’ll take what we can get.”

Texas-Pan American wouldn’t be confused with any of NU’s Big Ten opponents, and two of the Cats’ other victories came against Division III Wheaton College and Division II UPR-Mayaguez. Yet, NU also earned victories against solid Division I programs such as cross-town rival DePaul, Miami (FL) and Utah.

This success has put a positive spin on a season in which the Cats have struggled to a 2-11 mark in the Big Ten. And with three conference games remaining, NU will try to use the victory as a springboard.

“This is something to build on,” freshman Kevin Coble said. “This will be a good stepping stone for us.”

The game provided the Cats with a temporary reprieve from their arduous conference schedule, playing their first non-conference foe since NU drubbed Northwestern State on Dec. 31.

With a sparse crowd in attendance, NU had to deal with an environment different from the ones it is has grown accustomed to.

“I knew early on there were only a handful of people in the stands,” senior Tim Doyle said. “I know it’s not the same atmosphere as a standard Big Ten game against Ohio State or Wisconsin, so that’s why I came out aggressive and set the tone for the rest of the game.”

While the Cats still played with intensity, it was clear they were more relaxed and confident than they have been playing against bigger and more athletic Big Ten squads. NU’s hot start that saw it make 10 of its first 14 shots and eventually build a 14-point advantage only helped matters.

Although Texas-Pan American roared back in the second half, cutting the lead down to as little as two, NU never panicked. The Cats calmly responded and finally pulled away in the final minutes.

“(Playing with confidence) is something we always try to do during the games.” Coble said. “A lot of times, we just can’t find that stride. Tonight we came out really focused.”

Reach Andrew Simon at [email protected].