Street Parking Restrictions In Effect Through Thursday

The original version of this article misstated the parking restrictions for Wednesday and Thursday. The corrected version of the article appears below. Music and Weinberg sophomore Lauren Villegas usually parks her car in a dead-end street by her house, but she might have trouble locating a spot during the next few days. The City of Evanston has declared a snow route parking ban overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday and two snow emergency days on Wednesday and Thursday, Evanston Public Works Director David Jennings said Tuesday. The ban means people can’t park on snow routes between 11 p.m. Tuesday and 6 a.m. Wednesday. The restrictions affect all major streets, including Church Street, Dodge Avenue, Sheridan Road and Ridge Avenue. The snow emergency declaration means people may not park on the even-numbered side of the street on Wednesday. They may not park on the odd-numbered side on Thursday, Jennings said. Violators may be ticketed or towed. Alarms will sound twice on the emergency days, at 7:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. “They’re the same as the weather alert sirens like for tornados,” Jennings said. “There are five or six of them sprinkled around town to get good coverage for the city.” Villegas said she didn’t know about the ban or how emergency days affected parking. “It’s totally an inconvenience,” Villegas said. “Those people who don’t have the money to pay for a monthly parking spot are left out in the cold. There are so many ridiculous parking restrictions in this city.” Evanston Police Department Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino said he hopes residents will try to work with city officials to keep the streets safe. “Our main purpose and goal is to make the streets passable in the quickest time possible, so we need the cooperation of the driving public,” Bellino said. Drivers can find more information on cable channel 16, radio station 1650 AM and www.cityofevanston.org, or by calling 847-864-SNOW. -Dagny Salas