Sister Act: Freshman Twins Lead Wildcats’ Epee Team (Fencing)

By Pritish BehuriaThe Daily Northwestern

With nine top ten finishes in the last five tournaments, freshmen Christa and Kayley French have started their Northwestern career with a bang.

Just last weekend, the twin sisters collected three top-ten finishes with Christa coming within a touch of winning the junior section of the USFA North American Cup.

“They’re the two strongest epee fencers we’ve had for a long time,” coach Laurie Schiller said. “They bring a depth of experience and are just so good to have on the team.”

Christa French has been NU’s top finisher at three tournaments this season and has been leading the success of the epee team. Kayley French has not been far behind, consistently finishing three or four places behind her sister. At last weekend’s USFA North American Cup, they were the only Wildcats to finish in the top ten.

“I think either of them could win the National Championship,” Schiller said. “I don’t think there’s anyone they can’t beat.”

Since the sisters fence with the same weapon, they often meet in the draw of these tournaments. Just last weekend, they met twice during the latter stages of the tournament, with Christa French winning both times.

“There’s not really a rivalry,” Kayley French said. “In the end, sometimes I have good days and sometimes she does.”

The French sisters started fencing at the age of twelve. Over the years, theirs were common names at the top of tournament’s final results.

Schiller said many universities were looking to recruit them but most only wanted to recruit one of them. Their club coach, Jim Carpenter, an ex-NU graduate and a former trainee of Schiller also tilted them towards his alma mater.

“Their mom was the toughest sell but I think she was satisfied,” Schiller said. “The atmosphere we have is more conducive to them and maybe a big state school program wouldn’t suit them as much.”

Ahead of the Haverford invitational this weekend, the French twins have been in dominating form. Led by the French twins, NU’s epee team has a bright future to look forward to.

“I love the team and I love Northwestern,” Kayley French said. “I hope we can do well this year and I think we can actually win the championship.”

Reach Pritish Behuria at [email protected].