Wildcats Pull Off Weekend Sweep Of Herd, Buckeyes (Women’s Swimming)

By Chris GentilvisoThe Daily Northwestern

Entering Friday and Saturday’s meets with Marshall and Ohio State, Northwestern had yet to lose to an unranked opponent this season.

The Wildcats continued that trend, dominating the Thundering Herd with their largest victory of the season, 150-87. Less than 24 hours later, NU (3-5, 1-3 Big Ten) knocked off the Big Ten rival Buckeyes, 168-132. The Cats placed first in 21 of 29 events in the two dual-meets combined.

“They mentally got themselves ready and raced hard,” NU Coach Jimmy Tierney said. “Friday was tough because they knew the races with Marshall wouldn’t be on the same scale of difficulty. But they were determined to get something productive out of the meet. Come Saturday, we did what we set out to do and took charge from the beginning.”

Tierney made multiple shifts in his lineup on Friday, placing swimmers in events they had yet to swim in meet competition. The decision netted eight first-place finishes in 13 events.

Distance standout Kassia Shishkoff faced a much shorter course, but did so successfully – she finished third in the 50-yard free and won the 100-yard free. In the freshman’s usual events Saturday, she picked up individual victories in the 1000 free, 500 free, and 200 IM.

“It was nice to get out there and be able to compete in a different event,” Shishkoff said. “I definitely learned that I need work on my starts.”

Freshman backstroker Genny Szymanski secured impressive victories on Saturday in her staple events: the 100- and 200-yard backstroke.

“The energy was just so high,” Szymanski said. “Even though we weren’t necessarily netting our best times, we still put in good swims in these off-events.”

NU took three of four relay events of the weekend: the 200-yard free and 200- and 400-yard medley.

Junior Jessie Bailis and freshman Emily Wong took part in all three victories.

“We’ve talked a lot about how much we want to excel in these events,” Tierney said. “Point wise, it is double what the individual victories bring, so it is important in that respect too. We have the talent in the relays to challenge for a Big Ten title.”

Against OSU, the Cats saw a familiar face. Buckeye diving star Chelsea Davis looked to spoil NU’s charge for back-to-back victories, sweeping the 1- and 3- meter diving events on Saturday.

Davis transferred from NU to OSU after a freshman season which saw her capture the Big Ten Championship in 3-meter diving and qualify for the NCAA Championships.

“We knew their diving program was going to be a challenge,” Tierney said. “Chelsea is a great talent. She thought (transferring) was best for her career and we wish her well.”

The Cats hit the pool for practice Monday with one last dual-meet on the schedule: No. 10 Michigan. The Wolverines are 3-0 against the Big Ten this season.

But facing another ranked squad doesn’t daunt Shishkoff.

“Michigan has really good distance swimmers,” Shishkoff said. “I’m just going to keep working and know that I’m going to have to step it up to compete with the best.”

After three wins in their last four meets, and a weekend where Tierney said the effort of several of his swimmers was at a premium, the Cats look poised to make a run at knocking off their first ranked opponent.

“Michigan represents a great challenge for us,” he said. “They have some solid defending champs from Big Ten’s. It’s a great chance for us to stand up and go head-to-head with a great team.”

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].