NU, GE Team Up To Offer Alumni Credit Cards

By Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

Purple Northwestern credit cards, emblazoned with the university’s logo and offering NU merchandise as rewards, are now available in an effort to create a stronger relationship between alumni and the university.

The cards, which were made available to alumni in December, were created through a partnership with General Electric Money. GE Money is a financial division of General Electric Company and provides credit services in the retail and automotive industries.

“Alumni credit cards are very common among higher education institutions,” said Catherine Stembridge, executive director of the Northwestern Alumni Association.

GE Money began its first university partnership, with Boston University, in November.

“We evaluated a series of partners and chose GE Money based on their commitment to the success of the program and their commitment in promoting Northwestern,” Stembridge said.

In addition to promoting relations with graduates, the card will help fund NAA. The card is part of GE Money’s Net Rewards program, which accrues one point for every dollar spent with the card. Points can be redeemed for rewards and Northwestern merchandise sold by NAA.

Proceeds will help support NAA’s activities, such as the NEXT job-shadowing internship program and the Countdown to Commencement series for graduating seniors.

Stembridge said the cards have already caught the attention of some alumni.

“The response has been overwhelmingly positive,” said Stembridge.

She said NAA has received many calls since the program began, but didn’t know how many alumni had signed up thus far. The first direct mail solicitations will be sent to alumni in coming weeks.

“We anticipate an enthusiastic response based on alumni interest and the new purple design of the cards,” Stembridge said.

The Daily was not able to contact program subscribers due to privacy restrictions.

“I think that NU students are savvy and have a good deal of Northwestern pride,” said Josiah Jenkins, a Weinberg senior.

“But I also think many of us are wary of the university’s motives in working with corporations, whether this corporate partnership is a genuine expression of school spirit or just a commercial opportunity.”

Reach Paul Takahashi at [email protected].