2007 City Vehicle Stickers Required Starting Jan. 10

If residents want to keep their cars in Evanston, they need to get a sticker – and they need to get it now.

Residents whose license plates are registered to Evanston addresses need to apply for valid city vehicle stickers by Jan. 10, said Evanston Revenue Manager Kevin Lookis. Students who live off campus also need a sticker if they want to park on the streets.

“Students are exempt for the most part because their plates are registered to other states or cities,” Lookis said.

If a sticker is required, the application form can be downloaded from the City of Evanston Web site or filled out in person at the Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave., which is open until 7 p.m. Tuesday and 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Students also need to provide proof of residency, vehicle registration and a valid I.D. to secure the sticker.

“If you had a sticker last year, you would have gotten a renewal form in the mail,” Lookis said.

All vehicles registered to an Evanston address in zip codes 60201, 60202 and 60204 are required to display a sticker on the lower left side of the windshield by Wednesday or suffer an initial $50 fine and an additional $20 if it isn’t paid within 10 days, Lookis said. Addresses in 60203 need a sticker from Skokie.

McCormick junior A.O. Smith said he lives off-campus, so he had to secure a sticker to be able to park on the street.

“It was really easy for me because I’m out of state, so it’s like a parking permit,” Smith said. “It sounded like more of a hassle for others, like a vehicle tax.”

– Dagny Salas